1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with floppy drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by smad, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smad

smad Thread Starter

Hi guys

I have a normal floppy drive that wont work. When I put a disk in it it wont show anything, not even make the little noise (you know, when windows is loading the disk).. But its all plugged and it worked before I added an HDD. I also changed its cable because the other one was too small but thats not a problem.
    I tried disconnecting one of my two CD drives to see if the problem was because I have too much hardware but it does the same thing. Windows xp tells me to insert a drive in A:
    I tried formating and tried every disk so its not the disk that is not working. In the device manager it says that the device is working properly. I really need to have it to work because my projects are in this disk and I need it for school!!
    Please help!! what is the problem?!
    thanks guys.. please anwer

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

"I also changed its cable because the other one was too small but thats not a problem."

Can you explain this bit? Which cable, power or flat ribbon?
    What does "too small" mean?

What is the light on the FDD doing during all this?

3. smad

smad Thread Starter

the flat one because I added a new HDD and I needed a longer cable thats why I changed it for a new one. The light was green all the time so I tought it was because the cable was inserted the wrong way, I changed it but now the light doesnt light and it does the same thing... do you know how to fix this?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Well, the cable being round the wrong way will make the light go continuously, as it short circuits all the the lines.

Normally this is not fatal, however ....?.

There MUST be a link between you shifting the A: drive and it not working.

Take the A: drive out, connect it loose with the OLD shorter cable and the power connector, and see if it works. If it does, then you know where the fault lies. All cables are not created equal. Do not assume anything about a new cable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice