1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with formatting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpecialCC, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpecialCC

SpecialCC Thread Starter

Trying to install a new hard drive, which went fine to begin with until I started installing the XP OS and found out my product key # is missing. :rolleyes: I have a Win 98 boot disk and 98 OS disk but now the computer has 'started' installing XP so now I need to format the hard drive to be able to install Win 98, until I can get the product key for XP. I need to boot from MS-DOS to format the hard drive, but when it gives me the options, it don't offer the boot in MS-DOS mode without going into safe mode, which starts the XP version. :confused: I need help getting into DOS to format the hard drive so I can install Win 98 temporarily. All suggestions appreciated!! :)

2. coreyjames66

coreyjames66

If it offers to go to "command prompt", choose it, then type fdisk.

You'll get warnings that it will wipe your hdd. That's good 4u

It's been awhile, but this should format your hdd. methinks.

3. SpecialCC

SpecialCC Thread Starter

Thanks Corey, but I can't get to the command prompt in dos. When I restart and press F5, it takes me to the following menu:

Please select the OS to start:
    Win XP
    <this is my only option>

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice. Press enter to choose.

For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows, press F8.

So if I press F8, the options are:

safe mode
    safe mode with networking
    safe mode with command prompt
    <which I tried but this just goes back to the OS menu and when I press enter, it starts win XP in safe mode, but of course won't finish since it's not totally installed>

enable boot logging <tried this one too but it still starts windows too>
    enable vga mode
    last known good configuration (most recent settings that worked)
    directory services restore mode (windows domain controllers only)
    debugging mode
    disable automatic restart on system failure

start windows normally
    reboot
    return to OS choices menu

use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice

I'm not sure which of these, if any, to try. I think I could get it formatted if I could just get to the command prompt on dos, but can't seem to get there. Do I need to press something else besides F5 on startup?

4. coreyjames66

coreyjames66

O.k., Sounds like you're in a real situation here.

Do you have another computer-or friends computer that you could hook this up and f-disk it? This would solve your problem.

I'm bored tonight, so I'm gonna look into this for a while.

Still, I'd try ANY and ALL options to see if you can get something clicking. It can't hurt at this point (I wouldn't think)

I'll post if I find something.

Regards,
    Corey:eek:

5. coreyjames66

coreyjames66

Say.........If you did a "Upgrade" of XP, there should be a "Uninstall" file for XP that would be accessible from safe mode.

If I remember right, it IS in add/remove.

Try that.

6. SpecialCC

SpecialCC Thread Starter

I think I have managed to get myself into a complex situation....haha. I've tried the other options and they all still take me right back to the windows setup where I left off at (waiting for the product key #).

I do have access to a laptop and another desktop, but I'm not sure how to do it that way.

Thanks Corey! Your help is appreciated!

7. SpecialCC

SpecialCC Thread Starter

Trying the upgrade idea now! Oops, I just looked at the screen and it's doing the same as it did with the installation. It didn't offer any options, just went to the point it stopped at on the other. But it was a good idea!

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Boot with your xp cd and choose repair NOT install from the first menu. This will put you into the RC [recovery console] Now type "diskpart" without quotes. This will bring up the nt disk partitioning utility. Delete ALL partitions on the disk; exit the RC.

Now you can boot with a win9x boot disk and run fdisk and install win9x.

9. SpecialCC

SpecialCC Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I got it going again....thanks for all your help!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/448034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice