Solved Need help with free computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Scofe11

Hello I was working at someone's house they gave me an old alienware aroura but they took out the hdd because they obviously didn't want me to have their personal info, my question is what do I need to do to install a new hdd or ssd. I have a pc and I took out that hdd and put it in the aroura, it recognized the hdd but for some reason will not boot.

Scofe11

Hello I was working at someone's house they gave me an old alienware aroura but they took out the hdd because they obviously didn't want me to have their personal info, my question is what do I need to do to install a new hdd or ssd. I have a pc and I took out that hdd and put it in the aroura, it recognized the hdd but for some reason will not boot.
I also took out the old graphics card that was in the aroura and swapped it with the one that was in my current pc.

crjdriver

I moved your thread to the hardware forum. The forum in which you originally posted has nothing to do with installing a hard drive. If you post the exact model# it would be easier to recommend a hd/ssd.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What is the exact 7-character "service tag" number on that Dell Alienware Aurora PC?

You cannot remove a HDD containing a Windows operating system from one PC and install it in a completely different PC.
It will fail to boot - as you already discovered.

------------------------------------------------

Scofe11

What is the exact 7-character "service tag" number on that Dell Alienware Aurora PC?

You cannot remove a HDD containing a Windows operating system from one PC and install it in a completely different PC.

I'm not home atm but I will upload later thanks

- Since you're going through this effort, I don't suggest a HDD. Get a SSD for better performance.
- It seems to me that you're going to need to find the version of windows that was originally on it.
- Purchase the OS.
- Do not look for cracked or other than genuine OS. You will regret it monetarily and it will waste your time.
- The numbers on the unit that were mentioned before might help to do this.
- If not, contact Alienware directly, let them know the situation to see if they can help with needed hardware drivers.
- Alienware might have an OEM image for that computer that you can purchase but you will have to change the drivers for the video card.
- You might want to put the old video card back in during setup just so you can get rolling. Then, change it later.
- You will need to get the drivers for the new video card you put in there.
- All of this will need to be installed and set up to taste.

Scofe11

The service tag is 6NDXJM1

Scofe11

- Since you're going through this effort, I don't suggest a HDD. Get a SSD for better performance.
- It seems to me that you're going to need to find the version of windows that was originally on it.
- Purchase the OS.
- Do not look for cracked or other than genuine OS. You will regret it monetarily and it will waste your time.
- The numbers on the unit that were mentioned before might help to do this.
- If not, contact Alienware directly, let them know the situation to see if they can help with needed hardware drivers.
- Alienware might have an OEM image for that computer that you can purchase but you will have to change the drivers for the video card.
- You might want to put the old video card back in during setup just so you can get rolling. Then, change it later.
- You will need to get the drivers for the new video card you put in there.
- All of this will need to be installed and set up to taste.
Thanks for the info, I'll put the old card back in and hopefully I posted the right code. Most definitely will buy legit windows, don't wanna mess around with fake stuff

crjdriver

IF this system had win10 previously [and it was a legit version] you do not have to purchase windows again. Simply install the new hd or ssd. Make the windows 10 install usb using the microsoft media creation tool. Boot the system with the install usb and install windows. The activation is stored on the ms servers and your system will activate itself once installed [as long as you have internet access]

crjdriver

I just checked your service tag# and this system originally came with win7. As to whether it had been upgraded to win10, you would have to ask the person who gave it to you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online