Solved Need help with free computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Scofe11

View attachment 289586

Assuming all 3 modules are identical, that desktop has 12 GB (4 GB x 3) of DDR3-1333 MHz RAM.
Because it has its original processor, adding more RAM will do nothing to improve speed and snappiness.
Your money will be better spent on buying a SSD.

---------------------------------------------------
Okay thanks for clarifying I honestly thought that meant I had 3 12 gig sticks lol

Scofe11

Also had a question about what mode the motherboard should be in, raid or ahci? I bought a ssd not sure if that makes a difference.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If all 3 modules are identical, what they are is a 3-module 12 GB kit.
4 GB x 3 = 12 GB
There is no such thing as a 12 GB module.
They come in capacities of 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, etc..

Unless you plan to set up and configure 2 storage drives in RAID configuration, select AHCI.
You need to select which one you want BEFORE you install a Windows operating system.
If you change the setting AFTER you install a Windows operating system, the PC will not boot.

--------------------------------------------------

Scofe11

So I installed windows 10 set up stuff in USB, put it in aroura along with the new ssd, selected ahci and put the USB 1st in the boot order, it still does the little blinking line on top left corner or screen. Windows logo pops up for like 2 seconds when it first starts but then back to the blinking. Anything else I need to change in bios?

Scofe11

So I installed windows 10 set up stuff in USB, put it in aroura along with the new ssd, selected ahci and put the USB 1st in the boot order, it still does the little blinking line on top left corner or screen. Windows logo pops up for like 2 seconds when it first starts but then back to the blinking. Anything else I need to change in bios?
Never mind. As I was typing this it popped up lol. I'll update if it works or not.

Scofe11

Well it's up and running in windows 10! Thank you all so much for your help, much appreciated! Anyone by chance know where I can access the alienware stuff to change colors on the system and what not?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm glad to hear you finally got Windows 10 installed.

Any display and personal changes you want to make can be done in "Settings".
There are hundreds of settings to browse through, so take your time and make the changes you want.

Scofe11

I'm glad to hear you finally got Windows 10 installed.

Any display and personal changes you want to make can be done in "Settings".
There are hundreds of settings to browse through, so take your time and make the changes you want.

Yeah I found the alienware command center on Dells website, I downloaded the windows 7 version and it works just fine. I don't want to get the windows 10 version as there really is no need, everything for this computer is on the current version I have. I'm shocked at how well it performs so far, I used to get 30-45fps max on gta 5, now it's rides along 60fps which is a huge improvement for me. I'm still in shock the thing even turned on, now I have a hard-core 11 year old rig hahaha love it.

Scofe11

Anyone know a good website I can use to find out what the best cpu I can get for this motherboard?

texasbullet

Ramon
I think your computer has an i7 processor already installed.
What is your motherboards model number or serial number.
Try cpu-z to get your computer specs.

texasbullet

Ramon
I think that is all you can have. I would just clean the old thermal paste and install a fresh coat on your CPU and give a good cleaning inside your computer. If you want to upgrade it then you may want to consider buying a new motherboard, CPU and whatever extras you may need. You may wind up buying a new computer with all the upgrade parts.

Scofe11

Since I'm not going to upgrade the cpu, I've decided to mess around with some overclocking. I've managed to get this little sucker from 2.6ghz up to 3.2, then to 3.4. I'm not gonna push it too much more, but I'm still in shock about the performance on this thing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online

Members online