Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need help with free computer

Solved 
3K views 43 replies 6 participants last post by  Scofe11 
#1 ·
Hello I was working at someone's house they gave me an old alienware aroura but they took out the hdd because they obviously didn't want me to have their personal info, my question is what do I need to do to install a new hdd or ssd. I have a pc and I took out that hdd and put it in the aroura, it recognized the hdd but for some reason will not boot.

#4 ·
What is the exact 7-character "service tag" number on that Dell Alienware Aurora PC?

You cannot remove a HDD containing a Windows operating system from one PC and install it in a completely different PC.
It will fail to boot - as you already discovered.

------------------------------------------------

#9 ·
- Since you're going through this effort, I don't suggest a HDD. Get a SSD for better performance.
- It seems to me that you're going to need to find the version of windows that was originally on it.
- Purchase the OS.
- Do not look for cracked or other than genuine OS. You will regret it monetarily and it will waste your time.
- The numbers on the unit that were mentioned before might help to do this.
- If not, contact Alienware directly, let them know the situation to see if they can help with needed hardware drivers.
- Alienware might have an OEM image for that computer that you can purchase but you will have to change the drivers for the video card.
- You might want to put the old video card back in during setup just so you can get rolling. Then, change it later.
- You will need to get the drivers for the new video card you put in there.
- All of this will need to be installed and set up to taste.

#13 ·
- Since you're going through this effort, I don't suggest a HDD. Get a SSD for better performance.
- It seems to me that you're going to need to find the version of windows that was originally on it.
- Purchase the OS.
- Do not look for cracked or other than genuine OS. You will regret it monetarily and it will waste your time.
- The numbers on the unit that were mentioned before might help to do this.
- If not, contact Alienware directly, let them know the situation to see if they can help with needed hardware drivers.
- Alienware might have an OEM image for that computer that you can purchase but you will have to change the drivers for the video card.
- You might want to put the old video card back in during setup just so you can get rolling. Then, change it later.
- You will need to get the drivers for the new video card you put in there.
- All of this will need to be installed and set up to taste.
Thanks for the info, I'll put the old card back in and hopefully I posted the right code. Most definitely will buy legit windows, don't wanna mess around with fake stuff

#14 ·
IF this system had win10 previously [and it was a legit version] you do not have to purchase windows again. Simply install the new hd or ssd. Make the windows 10 install usb using the microsoft media creation tool. Boot the system with the install usb and install windows. The activation is stored on the ms servers and your system will activate itself once installed [as long as you have internet access]

#16 ·
that is the correct 7 digit code. Dell machine

This machine is 11 and years old and only has Windows 7 drivers available on Dells site. This also had 1TB storage (2x 500GB in Raid 0)

Hopefully the Windows OS sticker on the computer? If so, then the link I did will also have Drivers so you can install Windows 7 base and then install the drivers

#17 ·
So
IF this system had win10 previously [and it was a legit version] you do not have to purchase windows again. Simply install the new hd or ssd. Make the windows 10 install usb using the microsoft media creation tool. Boot the system with the install usb and install windows. The activation is stored on the ms servers and your system will activate itself once installed [as long as you have internet access]
I don't believe it had windows 10 on it before hand, been sitting for a long time. But I have no problem if I need to buy windows 7, but will I be able to upgrade to windows 10 after words? Or would I be able to do what you wrote with windows 7 aswell? Thanks for all the help you guys much appreciated.

#18 ·
#19 ·
If it has an install key on a sticker, you can use that to install win7. Do understand that win7 is EOL and is not going to receive any updates ie it is going to be a security risk.
Read Frank's guide to installing win7;
Updated! Steps For Installing And Updating Windows 7 SP1 | Tech Support Guy (techguy.org)
Since win7 is obsolete, it is not as simple as just popping in a dvd and doing an install.
Okay thank you, but I should be good to upgrade to windows 10 after that? I just dont wanna go through that whole process just to use windows 7. If I cannot use windows 10, I might just call it a loss and save my time.

#20 · (Edited)
Check the support page for that system. Win10 is not a supported operating system. That means dell never tested the operating system AND does not want to waste time/money writing drivers for obsolete hardware.
In short when you use an unsupported operating system, you are a beta tester; might work fine and it might not work fine. You can try win10 and see how it works. No one can give you a definitive answer as to whether or not it will work; you need to test it and see.

FWIW I have win10 running on one system here [old asus 790fx chipset motherboard] No win10 support however it works fine. Again, you need to test and see.

An alternative would be to install linux on the system. There are numerous linux distros designed for old/obsolete hardware.

#22 ·
There's more than one method to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, but there's no point in discussing that now until you have Windows 7 installed and activated in that 11-year old Dell Alienware Aurora.

On the downside, its hardware (processor, graphics, RAM, etc.) is old and slow, so even you get it up and running, you may not be happy with its speed and performance.

-------------------------------------------------

#23 ·
As old as it is, I compared the cpu to my current one and it is still way better than mine hahaha I just need to get an ssd instead. But I do have the windows sticker on the system still, im going to attempt to get windows 7 and then windows 10. If it won't work I'll try the Linux, ive heard of it but never used it. Better than windows 7 I hope lol

#24 ·
To install windows 7 with that product key, what do u need to do? I've tried looking it up and all I find is burning a install to a disc. I have no problem doing that but I don't have any disc's laying around like I did 10 years ago lol, can I just go buy a windows disc from Walmart and install it from that?

#27 ·
Bit of an update, I talked to Microsoft to confirm how to install windows 10. I bought a USB and a ssd to do this, im currently downloading the tool on my old pc now so let's hope it works. I have another question about the RAM slots on the alienware, it looks like there is 6 slots and there is 3 in there as of now, am I able to fill up the remaining 3?

Attachments

#28 ·
it looks like there is 6 slots and there is 3 in there as of now, am I able to fill up the remaining 3?
YOUR Dell Alienware Aurora originally came with 9 GB (2 GB x 3 + 1 GB x 3) of DDR3-1333 MHz RAM.
All 6 slots were originally occupied, but you say only 3 slots are now occupied?
What are the capacities and the speeds of the 3 modules currently in it?

Does it still have the Intel Core i7-920 2.66 GHz quad core processor that originally came in it?

#29 ·
YOUR Dell Alienware Aurora originally came with 9 GB (2 GB x 3 + 1 GB x 3) of DDR3-1333 MHz RAM.
All 6 slots were originally occupied, but you say only 3 slots are now occupied?
What are the capacities and the speeds of the 3 modules currently in it?

Does it still have the Intel Core i7-920 2.66 GHz quad core processor that originally came in it?

Yes ut still has the original i7 920, but the memory sticks are corsair xms3 ddr3, ill post a picture of one aswell.
Publication Wood Tints and shades Font Measuring instrument

#30 ·
Capture.JPG

Assuming all 3 modules are identical, that desktop has 12 GB (4 GB x 3) of DDR3-1333 MHz RAM.
Because it has its original processor, adding more RAM will do nothing to improve speed and snappiness.
Your money will be better spent on buying a SSD.

---------------------------------------------------

#31 ·
View attachment 289586

Assuming all 3 modules are identical, that desktop has 12 GB (4 GB x 3) of DDR3-1333 MHz RAM.
Because it has its original processor, adding more RAM will do nothing to improve speed and snappiness.
Your money will be better spent on buying a SSD.

---------------------------------------------------
Okay thanks for clarifying I honestly thought that meant I had 3 12 gig sticks lol

#33 ·
If all 3 modules are identical, what they are is a 3-module 12 GB kit.
4 GB x 3 = 12 GB
There is no such thing as a 12 GB module.
They come in capacities of 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, etc..

Unless you plan to set up and configure 2 storage drives in RAID configuration, select AHCI.
You need to select which one you want BEFORE you install a Windows operating system.
If you change the setting AFTER you install a Windows operating system, the PC will not boot.

--------------------------------------------------

#34 ·
So I installed windows 10 set up stuff in USB, put it in aroura along with the new ssd, selected ahci and put the USB 1st in the boot order, it still does the little blinking line on top left corner or screen. Windows logo pops up for like 2 seconds when it first starts but then back to the blinking. Anything else I need to change in bios?

#37 ·
I'm glad to hear you finally got Windows 10 installed.

Any display and personal changes you want to make can be done in "Settings".
There are hundreds of settings to browse through, so take your time and make the changes you want.

--------------------------------------------------

#38 ·
Yeah I found the alienware command center on Dells website, I downloaded the windows 7 version and it works just fine. I don't want to get the windows 10 version as there really is no need, everything for this computer is on the current version I have. I'm shocked at how well it performs so far, I used to get 30-45fps max on gta 5, now it's rides along 60fps which is a huge improvement for me. I'm still in shock the thing even turned on, now I have a hard-core 11 year old rig hahaha love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.