1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Need help with Gateway One ZX4250 Computer Power button

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bastich3169, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bastich3169

Bastich3169 Thread Starter

id like to know the pinout, or the wiring diagram(basically what color wire represents what function, as far as grounding and led lighting, im looking to use this for a raspberry pi project as far as a on/off button with led function. Any and all help with this is appreciated, i can post links to board for reference if ok within site permissions, being honest i glanced, but you could message me about board. again just need to know what does what *** far as wiring, google seems to be useless for this info. As far as i have searched anyway

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    What is the exact model name and number of the motherboard? Each board can have a different pin configuration.

3. Bastich3169

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Right. But you need to connect those to the motherboard. That's where the pins are. Without knowing EXACTLY which board you have, then it can only be guess work, Although many manufacturers tend to use the same pinout on most of their boards.

5. Bastich3169

this is the motherboard, ill try to get a pic of board where wires lead out, but from the front of the board i linked in previous post, the wires go yellow, orange, red, brown, black. left to right. need to know what powers board and the functions of other wires for LEDs. I cant find anything on google for the motherboard, or the pc power button board(which is all i need) any where, no diagrams or schematics that pertain to parts. But before i forget, thank you for your help, it is very much appreciated.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiYr8_Z3bTfAhUTKnwKHY1mCI8Qjhx6BAgBEAM&url=http://www.ascendtech.us/gateway-zx4250-db-ge211-001-motherboard_i_mbdbge211001daq.aspx&psig=AOvVaw0K7P_LUZB_KLKQoXkVJvgK&ust=1545607411753206

6. Bastich3169

Here are some pics, the first one is where the pc power button plugs in, the second is a zoom out to help see location on motherboard, the third is a close up of front of pc power button board.

Attached Files:

7. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Well, this may help you. It turns out that there is a standard after all. So here's the pin out. One caveat though. I couldn't find anything specific to that board. But this should be the "standard" pin out for those connectors.

fp_header.jpg

8. Bastich3169

the pins are in line and only have 5, no green, no purple, if you can zoom in on the previous pics you can see the little port plug.

Attached Files:

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  10. Bastich3169

there is more to it, 5 LEDS, aside from the button, which is in perfect size and formation for my project, and the only thing holding my project up, which is why im trying to figure out this little board, but the saying to good to be true is fastly becoming my reality for this little board is apparently the needle in the haystack.

11. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Do you have the "old" connector and cable? If so it should be fairly simple to replicate the setup. If you look at the motherboard it looks like the connector is a 10 pin white one.

I just looked again and it could be that 5 of them aren't really there. Could be the angle of the pic that made me think there were 10.

Have you tried to get a hold of Gateway Support? I actually don't know if they still have a support #

12. Bastich3169

Here is a better image of the plug, my bad for angle on last one. I'll have to wait till after xmas to try to call, if that's an option anyway. I was hoping to finish this before xmas tho. Present for someone. I think I'm gonna risk some breadboard experiments and hope for the best. I'm not giving up, gonna find a way to make this work. Again thank you guys for the help. Hopefully one of us can help nail this thing down, be an awesome button for Raspberry Pi projects.

P.S.
    What do you mean by old connector? I should note its from a gateway all in one computer that had a busted screen so i have been recycling parts, this is the little power button from the front of the pc, the LEDs functioned for off/standby, then on, then also hdd activity, I pulled it from the computer for the raspberry pi

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  13. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Ok. So how does the other end of the cable look like? Does that connect to that "mini" board that you previously showed?

And if it was pulled, by you, from a different system? THen you should know how to reconnect it.

14. Bastich3169

Again I pulled the part from a PC. I'm going to use it on a raspberry pi. Totally different pin layouts from pc to a raspberry pi. Im cutting the end of the cable off to solder connections for pins to plug to the pi. Having trouble finding out the circuit path of little power button board I pulled with LEDs. But, I've made some progress with tinkering. Pics will show I got orange power/standby lights, white on lights, and the switch works to turn on string of lights. Sorry about the chicken scratch notes, thought they could help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  15. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The thing is that part was designed to work with a particular motherboard and would interact with the circuitry on that motherboard which you would have to duplicate.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice