1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with Grisoft AVG free edition scan

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by scottmonster, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scottmonster

scottmonster Thread Starter

Please help me figure this out, it's driving me mad.. each and every time I run a full system scan or even just a scan of my C: drive, AVG freezes up during the scan and I have to reboot the machine. I have uninstalled AVG and reinstalled multiple times to no avail. The file it freezes on differs each time too, so I don't know where to start...

:mad:

2. raybro

raybro

Just a thought. How long a period of time did you let it go before you rebooted? AVG and most other AV programs will occasionally dwell for an extended period of time on one item and appear to be stopped when, if fact, it is still active. Is there hard drive activity going on?

Raybro

3. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

You might also try running AVG in safe mode.

Regards
    IMP49

4. scottmonster

scottmonster Thread Starter

I have let it go overnight before and it there is no activity.

5. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

In AVG, during a scan, there is a message bar which indicates the processed file. Check what file is processed when freezing occurs. Is it always the same file? If yes, then change the file's extension to something not executable, like "filename.bgrhs". Start scanning again, and check if it freezes again.

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

It might be best to move to another AV program seeing as it's "driving you mad". With all the possible combinations (hardware, software, driver versions etc.) sometimes a program just will not run and is not worth any extendended trouble shooting. There are many programs that do essentially the same thing. How many posts do you see where some claim an app works well while others bitterly complain about it. That's why the best companies offer free trials so you can see how it runs (or not runs) on your rig/configuration.

Seeing as you aren't out any money try one of the other free AV programs out there, they are all rated about the same.

If you want to work more with AVG uninstall it and run a number of online scans to check for the possibilty of some sort of infection that might be hampering AVG. You might also try preusing these forums:

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/

7. raybro

raybro

Do you perhaps have more than one AV program installed. That can lead to all kinds of strange behavior.

Raybro

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice