1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with home networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cristyna77, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cristyna77

cristyna77 Thread Starter

I'm sooooo frustrated with this home networking thing. All I want to do (FIRST) is set up a home networking using my puter and my other puter (Win98SE) to simply share files and printers. Once that is working right, then we will delve into internet connection sharing. Now, we, (as in the b/f and I) are still unsure about what needs to be connected to what and so forth. What settings each computer needs to have set, etc...I guess I am asking for instructions easy enough for a kindergartener to understand.
    Anyone???? Please???

cristyna77 (online now and awaiting ANYTHING)

2. Jest8

Jest8

You'll have to tell what kind of internet connection you have before we can give you a definate solution to your problem. If you have cable or DSL or if you have a dial up connection.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If your final goal is to have internet sharing and networking, my advice is to check into something like the SMC Barricade router/switch. They have a model that supports dial-up and broadband, and will also provide the switch function to connect your computers. Since the router is a DHCP server, all you have to do is accept the automatic configuration for the two machines, enable file and print sharing, and share some stuff. :)

4. exocet

exocet

Agreed, assuming you're using broadband, the easiest way to set this up would be to purchase a small router (Linksys brand is perfect for small home networks) and enable DHCP, which will automatically provide an ip address to whatever machines are connected. Then simply enable file sharing on each machine, and share your drives.

5. JohnWill

The SMC I referred to handles both broadband and dial-up, and even does automatic dial backup for the broadband connection if you have a dial-up account. :) Obviously, it also does DHCP, has a firewall, etc.

6. cristyna77

Heh-heh...Err, sorry 'bout leaving out the connection details. It is a dial up connection, and we wanted to go about it the cheapest way possible using just the cross-over cable. In fact, we want to set up just the network for file sharing first to make sure it runs right, and THEN set up the Internet connection sharing. The problem we are having is the other computer running Win98SE is unable to find the device driver for his PCI Ethernet Controller. The Device Manager is saying it is an unknown device. He even reinstalled Win95 where it turned up, but upon reinstalling Win98SE, we can't find the device driver. I am checking out Driver.com as I type this to try to find the driver, but it is asking for the manufacturer. How do I find out the manufacturer of his PCI Ethernet Controller?

cristyna77

7. cristyna77

Woohoo! We found the manufacturer, (Intel), and now we are going to try and install the driver. We also downloaded the Belarc Advisor for both pcs. AWESOME TOOL!! Thanks for the link!

8. Jest8

Jest8

John... Can you give me the model number of this router? Can't seem to find it on the SMC site

9. JohnWill

The SMC SMC7004ABR has serial and broadband capability.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice