1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help with home phone/dsl wiring

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ericaltshuler, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ericaltshuler

ericaltshuler Thread Starter

Hi -

I'm adding a phone/dsl jack in my house. I had an existing four-wire lines under my house that was already "hot" with my phone number, but when I hooked it up to a new jack I get a good phone signal but no dsl. I suspect this is because the dsl signal isn't bridged or connected to this specific set of wires ('cause it wasn't in use when the dsl was originally hooked up by AT&T) at my 66-block, but I really don't know how to troubleshoot or how to connect to these wires. I can't tell which set of wires these are at my 66-block (there are about 8 sets). Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Eric

2. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Well what kind of tools do you have? If you had a toner that would be great. Also the phone line that you get dial tone on, is that the same number the DSL is on? DSL uses the same pair and the actual phone number. if you have a seprate line it might be on the other pair and it may not be jumped correctly where it is punched down at the mpoe

3. ericaltshuler

I have a multitester, but no toner. The phone signal is the correct number associated with the dsl. Thanks for your help!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You do realize that for DSL you need twisted pair all the way to the modem, right? Here's how I wire DSL modems.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco service entrance. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.

5. ericaltshuler

No, this isn't really the issue. I have DSL operating on several phone jacks in my house, but the new jack I ran doesn't have it. What I need to know is how to bridge the DSL portion of the signal into this set of wires - I can't tell by looking at the 66 block.

6. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

If you have jumped the new pair on the 66 block to a pair that is already lit up you should have sync.

7. ericaltshuler

Memnoch -

Thank you! This is exactly what I need to do - jump the proper wires at the box. Problem is, I don't know how to tell which set of wires is the one I need to jump, and I'm not very good at deciphering what all of the various wires in the box are doing. Can you provide any guidance on this?

8. JohnWill

Since you also have a phone connected to that same set of wires. take a test jack down and clip it to wire pairs until it's connected to the line in question. :)

9. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Also, you seem to do alot of this work your self. A toner is realitivly cheap and would be extremly useful too! Other wise tracing wires can become a nightmare. So what I would do is get a toner and shot the done down the wire that has the usable signal, go to the punch down block and find the live tone. Now what ever pairs a lit with tone just jump them to the others.

10. ericaltshuler

Guys -

Thanks a lot for your advice. I finally figured out which set it was and how to jump it through trial and error. Not the fastest way, but it works now.

11. JohnWill

Glad you got it going.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice