1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help with HP Pavilion

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kiehn2u, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kiehn2u

kiehn2u Thread Starter

I have been trying to help a friend update or correct her winxp on her HP pavilion 520w
    I have a copy of my winxp cd from my dell system however I dont have the product key
    code to use it. So I have tried repeatedly to reset her computer to boot from her cdrom without success. I even posted here last week and someone suggested to tap the delete
    key when rebooting to change the boot sequence. I wasnt able to get it to work.
    However I did accidently discover that tapping F10 brings up the Recover system on her computer. Not knowing exactly for sure if I could just correct her winxp with recoverying the whole system I turned off the computer to stop it. I have 3 questions
    1) Can anyone tell me if the Recovery System on this HP model allows you to correct a current copy of your windows without reformatting?
    and/or
    2) Can anyone tell me how to set this HP model to reboot from the CD-rom?
    OR
    3) How do I access the bios to change the boot sequence?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Sponsor

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The recovery can have two options. One would be just the operating system. The other a full restore like it came from the factory. If you have a choice, which you want to do depends on the situation.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think that is too old to have the recovery partition which restores the OS and programs but try it. If it offers one solution and warns you all data will be lost then stop and you have your answer.
    You enter the bios on HP by tapping F1 BTW not "del".

5. kiehn2u

kiehn2u Thread Starter

Thanks sooooooooo very much to both of you. It's much a appreicated.
    Who knows someday I may own a HP myself.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Always glad to help...

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You are welcome.

If you can, backup any data, document any configurations like e-mail, note any installed programs, then start the restore process.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/635398