need help with installing xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ibquackers20

My son has windows98 second edition on his computer and would love to install using my windows XP CD ONTO HIS AND DO AWAY WITH WINDOWS 98 BUT i NOTICED THAT on MY CD THAT CAME WITH MY COMPUTER it SAYS ON IT ALREADY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER
reinstallation cd microsoft windows XP home edition including service pack 2

Can he use it on his computer to install XP or is it only good for my computer.Is there something he has to do or get - dummy tried already to do it and it says that he is missing files and can not continue - now he does not have 98 or XP AND i DO NOT THINK HE MADE A BACK UP either ?????? :eek:

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Only good for your computer. You need to buy another copy of XP.

ibquackers20

why is it only good for my computer - windows 98 that my son has or should I say had - he borrowed it from his friend ?

ibquackers20

Well I did not do it but he did and it did not work great so he cleaned the disc we had and got rid of the scratches and it worked perfect till he goofed up - now he has given up on xp and is trying to reinstall windows 98 second edition but having trouble there--- dang kid will cost me money if I have to reformat. How does he go about reinstalling windows 98

The problem with "borrowing" an OS is that it is illegal and will not receive updates from Microsoft, which in this day and age is vital for your PC's health. The XP that came with your machine is what is called an "OEM" version, which can only be licensed to one PC.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online