1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with LAN setup under Win 2000

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gacooper, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gacooper

gacooper Thread Starter

I have three machines set up in a LAN through a CNET router. These three machines are all set to automatically detect their IP addresses from the DHCP server within the router. All three machines are running WIN 2000 PRO and all are similar in makeup with the exception of their ages. Machine 1 and Machine two are the oldest and they are both able to see each other and sharte data freely. Machine 3 is running a RAID card with twin 80GB mirrored 7200 speed drives and a 40GB that has the OS on it. The router identifies aLL three machines and assigns them IP addresses. I also have shares setup \on machine 3 so that data is ready to be accessed by the other two compuiters. The only problem is that while machine one and machine two communicate correctly machine three is only a one way machine. Meaning it can ping all of the other computers within the workgroup but they cannot ping or access it. I have tried everything my measly little mind can think of down to self assigning IP addresses but still nothing works. I need to get this network working. Am i missing some sort of security setting or something that is preventing two way communication with this third machine. PLEASE HELP>

2. jtatsud

jtatsud

Sounds like a firewall or router problem.

Have you tried disabling all firewalls?

If that doesn't work, try rebooting everything. To do this, first turn everything off - router, PCs, and broadband modem (if you have one). Wait a couple of minutes and then turn on the modem. Wait a couple of minutes and then turn on the router. Wait a couple of minutes and then boot up the PCs. See if you can connect.

If the connections still don't work, open a command window (DOS prompt) on each PC and type:

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

Finally, whether the above works or not - you might want to make sure you have the latest firmware upgrade for your router.

Good luck :)

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If there is no firewall software on the problem computer, and you are certain the IP addresses are correct, you might consider hardware to be the problem. Use a known working network card, cable and port on the hub. There have been a few recent posts where one of these was the cause of a one-way ping.

4. gacooper

gacooper Thread Starter

If the computer in question can access the internet when hooked up to a different network and can receive programs downloaded then isn't it safe to assume that the LAN device in this computer is working correctly.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Didn't see any reference to it every being tried or working on another network or in a different location. I know I often skip alot.

6. gacooper

gacooper Thread Starter

I didnt make a reference but i did use the computer in my shop and i did successfully download updates off of the net. So assuming this means that my LAN device is working properly then I should look to cables and router?????

7. plucnik

plucnik

You should check to make sure the "subnets" are the same on all of the PC's. Run IPCONFIG/ALL from a command prompt on the machines that are communicating and mirror those settings (except fopr the IP address, of course) on the one that you're having a problem with.
    Pete

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The fact that you have previously gotten the computer to work somewhere else would have been very helpul information to give in the very first post. Also, downloading from the Internet does not necessarily mean you have the correct configuration for a LAN.

That confirms that at least the network card if functioning.

Did you try all different, known working cables and port on the hub.

As previously asked by others, what are the IP addresses being assigned.

9. jtatsud

jtatsud

Just to confirm...

In your original post, you stated that the 2 other systems could not ping the problem system. I made the assumption that you were pinging via IP address (and not computer name) and just want to confirm that this assumption is correct.

Per the post from plucnik, incorrect subnet settings would affect pinging by computer name but should not affect pinging by IP address.

Finally, I also encourage you to post the ipconfig /all results here. One way to do this is to open a command window (DOS prompt), and type:

ipconfig /all > c:\results.txt

This will create a results.txt file in the root directory of the C-Drive of your system. You can then use Notepad to copy and paste the results here.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice