1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help With Lost Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ramill04, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ramill04

ramill04 Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavillion dv2000 series notebook...recently my notebook stopped receiving wireless connection...the light on the front of the machine that signals wireless connectivity stays on amber (which means not connected)...i have tried downloading all the updated drivers and such but nothing has worked...under device manager i don't even see a device that i think is my wireless card...can someone please offer me a starting place or advice on what i can possibly do??? thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like the card isn't being recognized. If there's no place to enable it in the BIOS, I'd check the seating of the wireless card.

Turn off the machine, remove the battery, and open the trapdoor on the bottom that hides the wireless mini-PCI card. Make sure the card is firmly seated in the socket, and try again.

3. ramill04

ramill04 Thread Starter

thanks john...i will try that and let you know if that solves my problem...

4. ramill04

ramill04 Thread Starter

ok, i took off the battery and there appears to be no trapdoor...i checked the spec manual on the HP website and the manual was so vague (with pics included) that i couldn't really make out where the card was...i also am unsure about taking the computer apart due to all the static electricity warnings...i don't have a static safe mat so is there anything or any surface in most homes that would be appropriate to work on, or does it even matter when dealing with the wireless card?? thanks again for any direction you can give me...i was fairly certain that your suggestion was the problem after a lot of reading, but i didnt want to start messing with the notebook unless i knew for sure...

5. JohnWill

Are you sure there's no trapdoor? There is usually at least one, for memory, and most have several.

Here's the DV2000 Series Maintenance and Service Guide.

Within that guide, the following illustration appears on page 5-20, that's where the wireless card is located. Trust me, the door is there, there's also one for the memory and for the hard disk.

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The correct trapdoor should be the one closest to the wireless switch.

Don't shuffle your stocking feet on the carpet or pet the cat while performing this operation and you should be OK with static electricity. :)

7. ramill04

ramill04 Thread Starter

so i opened the trapdoor and the wireless card is definitely firmly seated...i now suspect that something might be going on with the actual switch, which is located on the front of the machine...any more advice would be helpful...thanks in advance

8. JohnWill

Make sure you "wiggle" the card in the socket slightly to insure good connections. If that doesn't do it, it may be the switch or the card could have failed.

HP has had a run of bad wireless cards, and they even have an extended warranty on some models for the issue. You may want to contact them about this issue.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice