Need help with Mac Hardware

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
here is the deal:

I went around my friends house who just moved in to help him check his machine out and get him on the internet (cable). Apparantly the cable guy just gave him the disc and said see ya.

The only thing that I saw was that there was no link light between the PC and modem (light on modem). I checked the cable and it was straight through. I took the cable home to test it and the cable was fine so I'm left with the Mac or the modem.

My questions:

If it is the Mac, can I add any NIC card to the machine? I have one that he can use but I wanted to find out if he can use it.

Also how do I configure the network card? and is there a similar command to PING 127.0.0.1 (hardware loopback test) to confirm that the NIC is working.

To Ping, assuming that the computer in question is running Mac OS X take a look at this nice diagram to get to the Network Utility, it works on Jaguar, Panther and Tiger on this web page: http://www.macstsn.com/Content/Jaguar/NetworkUtil.html

To configure the NIC, Click on The Apple Icon on the top left in the Finder Menu. Select System Prefernces... This will launch something like the "Windows Control Panel" and then click once on the Network Icon, you can configure from that window when it launches.

As for installing a NIC card it depends on the make and model of the Apple you are referring to.

Hope this helps so far. I want to help more if I can.

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
It's OS X on a G5. I never dealt with Macs on the technical side so i'm clueless right now

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
The NIC card that i will use if it comes to that is a D-LINK DFE-530TX

Here is a link from the Apple web page, it tells you what types of PCI card slots are available depending on the release date of the G5 in question. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86790

The NIC Card you have referenced should work, but may not - the drivers at the DLink web site are rated for OS X (10.1.x and 10.2.x). If it is Panther or Tiger you may encounter issues.

Hope this helps.

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
i'll try them in any case. Is there a pop up to install drivers or do i do that manually?

Put them on a USB thumb drive and load them from that. Let us know how it goes. Cheers and good luck.

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
i wish I had one... it would make my life as a student easier :)

Sorry, I assumed incorrectly that you had a USB thumb drive. Can you access another Apple computer with a CD burner, then burn the installer from the D-Link web site for that NIC card? You might be able to get away with a plug and play, it might work but I can not say for sure. :confused: Running out of ideas here.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online