1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help with maxtor 200gb sata drive....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by viperguy4005, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. viperguy4005

viperguy4005 Thread Starter

Just got a 200gb SATA harddrive from maxtor. I have a a8v asus mobo which you can view here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131541

ASUS A8V Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

And I just plugged it into the sata port on the mobo, and when I boot up the computer at first it says scanning for devices then gives me the error

"SCAN DEVICES

PRESS <TAB> KEY INTO USER WINDOW!

HARDWARE INITIATE FAILED, PLEASE CHECK DEVICE!!!

THE BIOS DOES NOT BE INSTALLED
    PRESS <g> to continue!

Now I already have a exisiting harddrive from maxtor another 200gb but hooked up through IDE. I've been searching google for some answer, but haven't really been lucky. I'm trying to figure out why this is not detecting the hard drive at all. sad Any help would be greatly appr. Also would anyone happen to know a pc board with experts on it? Thanks!

I've been searching on google and i can't seem to find a solution anywhere, the only thing I could think of is returning and trying a new one but I don't think that would be it. i tried installing maxtors software but that really didn't help and I think my BIOS is updated because I flashed it yesterday using the asus update... man i really need to figure this out sad any help would be great! anyone ever have this problem before?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, more info is needed.

Are you trying to install windows to this drive?

Are you adding this drive to an existing system?

Have you loaded the via sata driver?

3. viperguy4005

i am not installing xp on this drive, it is only going to be used as storage.. and yes im adding it to a existing system... and for the sata driver everyone keeps telling me to get that but im not sure what it is, cause i liked on asus.com but could not find any particular "sata" driver for my mobo.. :(

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

"PRESS <TAB> KEY INTO USER WINDOW!"

So what happens if you press the tab key at that time?

The manual says you need to use Windows xp with at least service pack one installed, so that may have all the drivers you need (except for the standard drivers for the motherboard ETC.on your drivers cdrom) if you are not running in raid.

Most likey this is the screen for setting up the raid controller and since you havent configured the drives for raid its not installing the raid bios. Your hard drive should show up in the computers main bios screen. Be sure its set to auto and hook your hard drive up to the primary IDE port.

5. viperguy4005

nothing happens when i press tab.. im going to go ahead and try those drivers you gave me, ill leave a post if it works or not :) thanks

EDIT: btw on that link which driver exactly should i use i thought i have a8v and not a8n?

cause see I go to mobo's then it has a lot of a8v-xx types and im not 100% sure which one is mine... and am i lookin for a raid driver or a sata driver?

i decided to dl the a8v itself sata driver.. ill tel u how it goes.

6. -=ZeroHour=-

-=ZeroHour=-

did you enable the SATA ports in BIOS?

7. viperguy4005

well there was only one option about sata boot rom and thats enabled

8. viperguy4005

just tried installing the sata/raid 2.2 package for the mobo a8v original and it still gives me the same error..

the IDE hd which i have xp on , works good, but the only trouble im having is getting the SATA drive to work...

9. shujinko

shujinko

Is the drive getting power? Can you hear it spin up when you turn the system on?

I know on my ASUS board (a7n8x) it looks for SATA devices right before going into windows. If it does have problems detecting a drive, it just skips over it and continues to boot.

Are you sure you downloaded the right BIOS from asus.com? It seems a little strange that you're getting an error message so sloppy worded as "THE BIOS DOES NOT BE INSTALLED." And the SATA/RAID package you installed, was that from the ASUS motherboard disk? I'm pretty sure that's only to give Windows the ability to recognize SATA drives anyway. Your BIOS should take care of all the drive recognition before coming into Windows, so like ZeroHour said, make sure your SATA BIOS settings are all set to enable SATA drives.

If this still doesn't help, you may want to reset your BIOS. You can do this by removing the battery for a minute or so and reseating it. You can also do it by moving a jumper on the motherboard. The instructions should be in your manual.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, back to the basics. First your sata controller must be enabled AND set to the mode you want to use; ie standard ide and not raid.

Next open device manager and see if there are any yellow marks. Post a screenshot of DM.

11. viperguy4005

crj was onto something i just looked in the device manager here is a screenshot...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/orbit18/dm.jpg

and shu, yes i can feel/hear it running, but it will say that message, then I press G and it just continues to load windows normally again

and when people keep talking about making sure sata is enabled... all i see in the bios about sata is a sata boot rom.. and it says enabled on that. and I dont think I saw any options that give you a choice about putting it in raid or no

also i just tried uninstalling the sata drivers and reinstalling them, still gotthat yellow exclamation mark

12. viperguy4005

anyone else help? :(

13. shujinko

shujinko

Did you try just deleting that entry and seeing if Windows discovers it itself? Maybe try to get the driver again, but this time off of ASUS's website.

14. viperguy4005

no i tried the sata drivers from the site first of all.. the ones on the cd don't work either..

I actually just formatted, ( i backed up my stuff) just for fun to see if it would recognize it then, same message still. Ide maxtor hd still works, *has xp installed on it, but the sata still gets that message.

im going to try and uninstall the thing from the dm and see if that works and see if windows detects it itself..

15. viperguy4005

just tried uninstalling it from the device manager... and let windows auto detect it , well what it did was when i go to the desktop it found new hardware such as a raid and via driver. but told me to restart and im still getting the same message... how can i tell maybe it is the harddrive? or is the mobo defective?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/455831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice