Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

need help with modem hookup

2K views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  minipete 
#1 ·
I recently got verizon internet and they don't come out to hook it up anymore. I am very confused as to how to hook up the modem to the main phone line. I have wireless phones but 2 places to connect lines. If I connect the modem to the main phone jack the modem with the router work fine, but I have no phone and cannot connect to my satellite which means I have two wires with no place to plug them into. When I unplug the line from the phone jack that goes to the router I can hook up the phone line and satellite in the phone jack but I have no place for the modem. Can anybody get me on the right road.

#11 ·
Okay here is the link for the installation guide for that model- http://www.actiontec.com/support/product_details.php?pid=40&typ=doc you must have a filter on every landline in your home that's a must. As for the modem instructions- Are you looking to have a landline next to your PC? If so this is possible if installed correctly. Are you using a desktop or a laptop? Basically all you need to do is connect the modem to the pc via ethernet, connect the modem to the phone jack in the wall using the dual adapter.

#13 ·
No you do not use the filter for the phone cord connecting the modem to your landline wall phone jack. What do you mean satellite? All you need to do is install the Verizon software, then use the power cord to turn on the modem, insert the Ethernet into the modem and the PC, and connect the phone cord to the modem and the wall phone jack.

#16 ·
Oh! Okay I figured that. That should be setup already if not then DirectTV screwed you expecting you to install the satellite!! ha lol just kidding- Glad you got it working. So you can use both DSL and a landline with one wall phone jack with the dual adapter. Let us know if you need any more help :)-

If you can mark this post as "Resolved" so other advisers know this post is closed I'd greatly appreciate it. Have a good evening ;)

#17 ·
Very sorry to bother you again, I guess I'm just plain stupid, and to think I used to be a DJ and hook up all those wires and never have had any trouble with modems and phones. In simple terms, my modem will work if I run the phone line to the jack. Now I have 2 lines that need to be connected, the wall phone and the direct tv. How is this possible?

#23 ·
I have a telephone, but the jack the phone goes into is being used by the modem line. I still have my direct tv line and phone line to connect somewhere. As far as land line vs VOIP I really don't know the difference, I'm just assuming it's a landline because I have had trouble with my phone before and Verizon had to come out and work on the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.