1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help with msworks (6.0)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rbigg, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbigg

rbigg Thread Starter

I'm doing a resume for a friend. It needs a small bust photo in the upper
    left corner.

Drafting the text part of the resume, I start one column at approx the
    halfway point across the page. Sort of an indent.

There are maybe 10 lines in the indent part.

The object of this was to leave room for the photo embed, to the left of the
    text column..

I've tried plugging the photo in, but no matter what I do, so far, it screws
    up the text to the right of it. I've tried it INSERT both on and off. It
    not only changes the line spacing of some of the indent lines, but it also
    puts some gaps the lines that weren't there.

I know this must be an opertor problem, but what do I do next to get
    everything playing nice together?

2. letchworth

letchworth

You could try a Desktop Publishing program like the free version from Serif-- Page Plus:
    http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/

Advantage of a desktop publisher is that it is built around a different paradigm; (here is where I will be showing my age)-- In the old days, and still in some small town newspapers, layouts were done by cutting papers with material you want in the layout, then hot wax was applied to the back and it was stuck any where you wanted it on the page. A DTPublisher is designed to emulate that "bits and pieces stuck anywhere you want them" mindset. You are not limited to columns, etc.

Like anything, there is a bit of a learning curve to DTP- but I'd guess that for something like a resume, (& if you'd use the help files), you can probably do the whole thing in under an hour for your first project. Save your Works file as .rtf and you can import it into whichever frame you wish.

Obviously, they are giving away this very nice free version in hopes you will want all the bells and whistles of their larger paid version--- but this free version will very easily do what you'd like it to do.

letchworth

3. rbigg

rbigg Thread Starter

Sounds wonderful. Thanks.

4. cruciverbalist

cruciverbalist

ddw23, I was wrong - the problem has gone away. I assumed I still had it because I hadn't had an answer offering a solution. But I've just realised that the emails concerned have all now left my outbox. Are you able to explain this miracle?!

5. PageUp

PageUp

You can put in a text box, then put the picture in that, then you can tell the text to wrap around the text box or stay to the right of the textbox..... (if I am understanding you correctly)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice