1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with my boot disk-hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TMNTae05, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TMNTae05

TMNTae05 Thread Starter

ok well myhard drive failed in one of my computers so i tried to do a hard drive transfer from one computer to another. well after i transfered it, a error screen comes up saying "non system disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready" so i put in a boot disk and i can get to DOS and everything, but how would i boot up my hard drive from a boot disk? i tried changing the boot sequence and i tried typing C:\ and every other letter trying to get to that drive through DOS, with no luck, so any help is appreciated here, thank you...

PS - the hard drive did work in the previous computer it was in, and all of the connections seem to be correct, in fact i am 99.9% sure the connections are fine, and the hard drive does make noise when the computer is turned on..

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What OS? You can't boot into a Windows NT based system from a DOS floppy. NTFS hard drives are invisible to DOS.

What do you mean you did a transfer? Did you put that drive in another computer, or clone it to a new hard drive?

Please explain exactly what you did.

3. mobo

mobo

Sounds like te master boot record need s replacing. Again what operating system is it were dealing with ?

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

As Elvandil said, DOS cannot see an NTFS partition. If you were running either Windows XP or Windows 2K that is most likely your problem.

5. TMNTae05

TMNTae05 Thread Starter

the hard drive had windows ME on it if im not mistaken, and what i did was i took a hard drive out of one computer(it was the primary in that computer), and i am trying to put it in my current computer, where it would also be a primary hard drive..

6. mobo

mobo

Check the bios boot order in that system then would be something to check as well as the ide cabel being on correctly.

7. TMNTae05

TMNTae05 Thread Starter

yea i am fairly positive that the cables are connected prorperly and i have tried every boot order possible...can a hard drive erase everything by being disconnected? or are there any other explanations...

8. mobo

mobo

Is the bios detecting the drive ?

9. TMNTae05

TMNTae05 Thread Starter

i dont know, when i put c:/ or any other letter than a and b it says invalid drive and i dont know what b is but its not the hard drive...

10. TMNTae05

TMNTae05 Thread Starter

Yea i think i figured half of it out...i made a windows ME boot disk and now my cd drives are responding along with my hard drive, but what commands woulf i put in to see if my hard drive is still usable without having to get a windows disk?

11. mobo

mobo

Are you booting up with the bootdisk ?

12. TMNTae05

TMNTae05 Thread Starter

yessir, if i boot without it it just goes to an error screen saying "non system disk, replace and stirke any key when ready" and i dont have any disks in the computer...do you have aol or anything, it would be alot easier and fast if we could talk like that...

13. TMNTae05

TMNTae05 Thread Starter

nevermind i just now looked at your profile, too bad you're not on...

14. mobo

mobo

Boot with the bootdisk again and when it finishes at the A> prompt
    try typing sys c:
    Wait a second to see if you get a message that the files have been copied to the hard drive..If so then remove the bootdisk and try rebooting.

15. TMNTae05

TMNTae05 Thread Starter

ok gotcha, ill go try that right quick,,,

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/213942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice