1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Need Help With My Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gorgnak, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gorgnak

gorgnak Thread Starter

I'm looking to upgrade my computer so that I can run games on my computer with better efficiency, however I don't actually know what I would need to buy so I won't run into compatibility issues or performance issues. I guess I am looking for something that works well with current video games.

Also if buying a new computer is recommended over upgrading, that would be nice to know.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16198 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 899 GB (565 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO, SKYBAY

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Your budget determines what you 'need', unless you have rich parents. All games have support for recent (2-3 yr old) graphic cards.

3. gorgnak

gorgnak Thread Starter

I guess I should be more specific in what I'm looking for. I'm looking to play games that have been released around 2016 fairly well. This game released in 2016 is one of the games that I have in mind.

Tales of Berseria Recommended Requirements
    • CPU: Intel Core i5-750, 2.66GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.2GHz
    • CPU SPEED: Info
    • RAM: 4 GB
    • VIDEO CARD: GeForce GTX 560 or Radeon HD 7870
    • PIXEL SHADER: 5.0
    • VERTEX SHADER: 5.0
    • SOUND CARD: DirectX 11 compatible
    • FREE DISK SPACE: 15 GB
    • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 1024 MB
    I meet the games minimum requirements, but I would like to play this game a those of similar requirements on an optimal graphics settings. My budget is between 400-600 dollars for upgrades. Though if the price of a new computer that fits my requirements isn't too much more (about twice the cost of the upgrades themselves so 800-1200 dollars) that may be more desirable.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  5. gorgnak

gorgnak Thread Starter

Ok then. I'll probably buy the GeForce GTX 560 then. It is about what I wanted to spend on the part and it should provide a significant speed up. Two last more questions and I think that will be it. First, is putting in this video card going to put undue strain on my processor? I was told that upgrading video cards may require more processing power. Second, is there going to be any hardware compatibility issues that will cause the computer to not function or not function well?

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The GTX 560 is about 6 years old now, used ones sell on Ebay for around £30 to £50 !

If you want a new card I would look at something like a GTX 1060 which would be much better but would cost around £200 :- https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/...ce-GTX-560-vs-GeForce-GTX-1060/2906vs71vs3548

I am not a Gamer myself and my knowledge of GPUs is limited, I'm sure there are other GPUs you could consider.
    Maybe someone else will post about that.

I think your Cpu will be fine :- https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-6400-vs-Intel-i5-750/2578vs772

What PSU do you have ? It might need to be upgraded if you buy a better GPU.

7. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Be careful! You have a Lenovo desktop PC and that GT730 card uses, at most, 49 watts of power which means your power supply may not be up to the task of running a more power hungry graphics card. There is also the possible issue of Lenovo only allowing you to use specific models of card.
    So, before you buy anything, what is the complete model number of the Lenovo or what is it's product number? (It's on the same sticker as the PC's serial number)

8. gorgnak

gorgnak Thread Starter

GTX 1060 seems really nice. If it is the only part I would need to get for my upgrade then that is what I will probably get since it seems to be in my budget. I see that EVGA GeForce is about $270 while other brands are less expensive with the median price being about $150 which some of those are used (does it matter a whole lot if the GPU is used?). I can still get another part and be within my budget that may be required to make the upgrade operational. I could probably buy a power supply, especially if that is the only additional thing I need for it.

For more details on my computer, this is what model I use:

lenovo ideacentre 700-25ish

Power supply Details:

Power supply (I don't know which one I have without opening up my computer, I assume the 250 watt one)
    Some: 250 watts, 85% PSU, autosensing, universal (100v-240v)
    Some: 400 watts, 92% PSU, autosensing, universal (100v-240v)

I don't know the overall power demand that my computer uses, but the only thing I have done to my computer is add another tab of 4GB RAM. Everything else is as the manufacturer made it.

9. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

The GTX 1060 uses a maximum of 120 watts which is more than a PCI slot can deliver so there will be a power connector on any new GPU card. That means you had better shut it down, take the side off, and check that power supply. Not only does it need to be the 400 watt version; but, it also needs to have a 4, 6, or 8 pin power plug loose inside the chassis.
    As a note, the real number identifying it looks like it ought to begin with 90ed (i.e. 90ED003UUS is one with a GTX 960). What is that number?
    Benchmarks:
    https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+730&id=2906
    https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+1060&id=3548
    (The GTX 1060 takes you from 922 to 9025, almost a tenfold speed increase)

10. gorgnak

gorgnak Thread Starter

I just checked, I have the 250 watt version of the power supply. It also doesn't have any additional power plug, not like it mattered since I will most likely get a new one. I guess I will need suggestions on a new power supply to buy.

P_20181129_211539.jpg

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FSP makes some fine pw supplies however that one is not one of them. That is an oem type unit which is fine for running word, doing spreadsheets, etc NOT running a gaming card.
    The gtx 1060 requires a minimum of 400W. I never like to go with min specs; IMO you should install at least a 500W unit. Good ie recommended brands; Seasonic, Corsair [AX, HX, or RM models ONLY] Antec [HCG models ONLY] or if you want to stick with FSP, this one;
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABP96N22205
    Here is another example. This one is a seasonic and IMO about the best bang for the buck;
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151189

Note the seasonic has a 10yr warranty and the FSP a 5yr warranty.

12. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

I had asked you for the full product number. " the real number identifying it looks like it ought to begin with 90ed (i.e. 90ED003UUS is one with a GTX 960). What is that number?"
    It does not look like you have a standard power supply (!!!) and you will not be able to buy an off-the-shelf replacement and have it work.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Davis makes a good point. Attempting to game with a big box system ie dell, hp, lenovo, etc is VERY often an exercise in futility. There is a LOT more to a gaming system than simply installing a video card. All of the parts need to work together to achieve a high level of performance. Installing a high end video card in a big box system is analogous to installing a performance cam in an econobox car; it will run however it will never run well.
    A well thought out/designed gaming system has a performance motherboard with steel slots, extra chipset cooling, heavy duty VRs and heavy duty capacitors. A gaming system will also have a performance case with good airflow and or liquid cooling, a high end seasonic pw supply, etc, etc.

Dell, hp, lenovo are fine for what they are designed to do; run office, email, web access, etc NOT gaming. We must have at least 4000 dells at work and they do fine for what we use to do however I would never think of attempting to game with one of them.

14. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

But, the 54Y8936 is the 400 watt version of your 54y8934 (look at your posted picture) and it also has the extra connector to plug into the new graphics card.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Geniun...h=item468ac6ed5f:g:1J0AAOSwDehbhMhq:rk:1:pf:0
    I would suggest you replace it first just to see everything still be OK before you even get a video card.
    If you look at the picture from the EBay listing, the video card power is on the left and the system board connector (motherboard) is on the right.
    BTW (By The Way), that product manual would have let me post the link to Lenovo's support page which woul have included the maintenance manual.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice