1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with new PC build...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SBMongoos, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SBMongoos

SBMongoos Thread Starter

I built a new machine earlier this year and I'm rather disappointed with the performance. I bought a Gigabyte mb, the Intel P4 3Ghz with 800fsb. The mb can handle dual channel as I installed 2 x 512 of the PC3200. I bought OCZ. I am running RAID mirroring as I feel it's necessary for the purpose of this machine. I just don't feel like I see much of a difference over my old Abit board with the AMD 1Ghz TBird and 512mb of RAM.

Any recommendations or what may need adjusting or tweaked?

Really appreciate any help..

Thanks..

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

What video card are you useing. You probably wouldn't see much difference from your old one if your not doing things that are cpu intensive like video editing or heavy compressing and decompressing. For most games the video card would make the most difference. For day to day tasks like email and websurfing there would be next to no difference.

3. SBMongoos

SBMongoos Thread Starter

I'm using a VisionTek AGP 128mb. It's 4x I believe.

I do a fair amount in Adobe Photoshop. I just get these small lags at times that really suprise me. I expected to have more power and to be able to mulitask better but it seems worse.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Could be lagging due to your real time antivirus program scanning large photoshop files? Is DMA enabled on all drives?

Depending on the raid setup, it could be slower to write to the drives, thus the lag could be due to the drives and not the cpu. I would expect photoshop to be quicker when applying filters or masking..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice