1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with new video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Faxxion, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Faxxion

Faxxion Thread Starter

I have recently tried to install a GeForce mx400 64mb PCI video card. Everything was going fine until I tried downloading the new drivers from the CD and from various websites.....none of them have worked. My problem is, after installing the new drivers and restarting my computer I get a black screen with just my mouse pointer in the middle. I currently have a Compaq Presario 5000 with ASD duron 750Mhz processor. *warning* I'm not too familiar with computer talk, so if you can offer me any advice english is appreciated :)

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

If the new card was working ok until you did a driver upgrade, i would pull the card out. Boot up with the Compaq onboard video controller and then remove the files for the new card and all the drivers you downloaded. When all that is removed, go back and install the new card again with then drivers that came with it. If that works, post back and either i or someone else can possibly help you make sure you get the right updated drivers for the card.

3. deuce

deuce

Did you disable the onboard video in your bios? Also, before you put in the PCI vid card and before you shut down you might want to pitch the drivers for the onboard vid card... assuming you previously were using onboard video. When downloading drivers make sure you are getting the lastest ones and they match your OS. What bios do you have? (it will say at the top immediately after you start up your computer or if you press del, F10 or F1 to go into your bios) You also want to make sure you have the lastest bios flash. (always good to have either way)

4. deuce

deuce

Opps... Paul beat me. Also, I'm sorry but I think I missed a line in your post. I didn't read that it was working fine before. Was there a reason to install new drivers... was there something wrong with the old drivers? Take out the card and boot using onboard if you have it. Delete the new drivers and shutdown and start over by puting in the card and using the drivers from the cd. (or where ever the drivers that worked came from) I think this is all the same that Paul just said but I guess there's nothing wrong with positive reinforcement... that and I didn't want to delete it after I read it was already said...

5. Faxxion

Faxxion Thread Starter

Sorry, guess I wasn't all that specific about trying to install the new vid card.....I disabled the old drivers from my ATI Rage XL card and did everything right, since I have done this installing thing before with no problems. Booted up with the standard VGA adapter and all that then, tried to install the GeForce 2. Tried the drivers that came with the CD, tried one's downloaded from Nvidia.com (among other ones), but I still get that black screen no matter what. Will try the Bios thing tomorrow. My next question would be, I'm basically upgrading my computer since my old ATI vid card doesn't seem to work while playing Everquest (evercrack)....so I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on decent video cards for my system. Have already added an extra 512mb RAM, and that helps a little bit :) Thanks!

6. deuce

deuce

So have you gotten the new vid card to work at all?

ATI and gforce are the ones I would recomend. I would personally say ATI over gforce but they are both good but it sounds like you haven't had much luck with either of them.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice