1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help with old g3

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by G_Dub, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G_Dub

G_Dub Thread Starter

i recently acquired an old g3 power mac 7600 and trying to install ubuntu. my problem is i cannot get the darn thing to boot from the cd drive...i have tried holding the c key while powering on and holding apple, option, shift, del to no effect. this is my first mac, i don't know alot about them. if anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

2. macmedics

macmedics

Holding the "C" key is the right thing to do. You might have a drive that's starting to go south as well. I've replaced tons of these drives over the years. If the drive is okay, then I would expect that your trying to boot off a CD that will not support this machine. Use the disk that come with it (if you have it as a test) or use a "Retail" copy of OS 7.6, 8, or 9. That should boot it. This machine needs a specific system to boot, and you can't take a start up disk from just any old Mac and boot just any old machine with it. Also a 7600 is not a G3, it's a PowerPC 604, so using a disk for a G3 won't work. This machine came with 7.5.5, which is cool, because at one point (maybe still) you could download a full working copy of 7.5.5 the full version from Apple's website (the only OS in history that you could do that with). Also this machine won't run past Apple's system 9.1.

Dana
    MacMedics

3. G_Dub

G_Dub Thread Starter

thank you for your help. i did some research on this machine, and the processor is an aftermarket 550mhz, the ram was upgraded to 512mb, video card was upgraded to a rage 128, this is a really fast dinosaur. i was hoping to upgrade this to os x, but i realize now that is impossible. i downloaded 7.5 from apples website, plus the boot disk, decompressed it on my pc with aladdin, and wrote it to a cd (just the boot disk) with winimage to no effect. i think i'm ready to call it quits and buy a more modern mac, one that can run os x so i can try it out. i have never owned a mac b4, and wish to compare it to my pcs. thanks again for your help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice