1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help with Outlook Express 6 and Hotmail??? Help

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jonasdatum, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonasdatum

jonasdatum Thread Starter

Hello.

For some strange reason, I can't log into my hotmail.com account via Outlook Express 6.

I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling Outlook Express 6, but it is not work. I tried removing the account, then reinstalling it. Can anybody help me please?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Hello.. when you're in Outlook Exp... do you see Hotmail already loaded?

Savvy :)

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Go to Outlook Express & click on tools... then accounts... then see mail tab... click on the hotmail account & then properties....

Do you see the server?? http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp

thats the way it should be. also on account name... it should say Hotmail
    check "include this account when synchronizing"

Savvy :)

4. jonasdatum

I did all of that.

It is just not working. I try to download my mail via Outlook Express 6 and it doen't work. I don't get it. I have even delete the mail archive.

HELP PLEASE:( :( :( :mad: :confused: :confused: :( :( :( :(

5. jonasdatum

Hello SavvyLady.

I think I fixed it but I need confirmation and clarification. I was sitting down playing with Outlook Express and then I got to thinking about it. Then it hit me... the secrets of the future are in the past. Translation, I thought about what significant changes I made to the system just prior to this incident. The answer was that I changed something in IE6, but couldn't remember what. All I knew was it had to be something in the security tab of IE 6.

I reset the settings to medium and now Outlook Express 6 works. SavvyLady, can you tell me what I inadvertently changed to cause all this?

Thank You for your help SavvyLady.

:D :cool: :)

6. solitude22

solitude22

When your using IE6 and you goto tools>internetoptions the internet options dialog box appears. When you choose privacy and slide the slider to block all cookies it prevents all sites from accessing your cookies therefore you may sometimes have trouble with downloading off the net and this sometimes occurs when using hotmail in Outlook Express 6. As Hotmail requires authentication from your computer Hotmail wouldn't be able to touch your cookies therefore not allowing Outlook Express to download your messages.

Don't worry this has happened to me when i'm checking my Hotmail messages. Its an easy mistake to make. Just remember not to have you security tab on block all cookies all the time because it also prevents your computer from loading up webpages quicker because the cookies contain information about the webpage html. On somesites webpages will keep on restarting because of using block all cookies.

Hope this clarifies your problem

7. DJ P@CkMaN

DJ [email protected]

hey all, i have NEVER been able to access my hotmail through outlook exprsss but u people can so i see hope =D. i log in, have IE settings to accept all cookies but it still wont work. when i tell it download folders off server i get this message.

Bad Request

Configuration:
    Account: Hotmail
    Server: http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp
    User name: [email protected]
    Protocol: HTTPMail
    Port: 0
    Secure(SSL): 0
    Code: 800ccc31

please help because using hotmail through a program would be heaven!

*edit*
    and when i try to check mail it says

Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: 'Bad Request', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC31

again, please help me!!

8. jonasdatum

:D ;) :rolleyes:

Hello. That error message looks like the one I had, but I am not intirely sure. I should have post all the error messages. I tell you what, go into custome of the security tab and reset your security settings to "medium." That is what I did.

Hope this helps.

9. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    And just to be sure, look through <a href=http://ninemsn.com.au/support/hotmail/OE/setup.asp> this</a> article and first be sure it's configured correctly.

10. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

A little extra.

Check your logon details
    Check your Outlook Express mail account settings to ensure that the mail server logon name and password are correct:

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
    On the Mail tab, click your Hotmail account, and then click Properties.
    Click the Server tab.
    Under Mail Server, verify that the correct name and password are contained in the Login name and Password boxes, and then select the Remember password check box.
    If these steps do not resolve the problem, use your Internet browser to access your Hotmail account.

Remove the HotmailĂ’ account, and add it back in.
    Sometimes, removing Hotmail from your accounts area and then completing the set-up procedure again resolves this problem.
    On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
    On the Mail tab, click your Hotmail account, and then click Remove.
    C) Then Click Add, then Mail account.
    Complete the steps explained on the page setting up Outlook Express to read your Hotmail.

Create a new identity for your HotmailĂ’ account only.
    Sometimes, creating a new identity, and then adding the Hotmail account to this identity will resolve this problem.

11. DJ P@CkMaN

DJ [email protected]

i did it all and it still doesnt work

12. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Are you connecting to the net through a proxy server? If so, try bypassing the proxy server.

Start>Settings>CP>InternetOptions>Connections.

If you have a Cable or DSL connection click on "LanSettings" and uncheck "Use a Proxy Server".

If dialup, highlight the dialup account and click on Settings and uncheck "Use a Proxy Server".

BTW, are you running any firewall software?

13. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

"All" as in what?

14. DJ P@CkMaN

DJ [email protected]

i have 56K.. no proxy and i have no firewalls running as i turned winXP's one off

15. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice