1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with outlook or windows messaging

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by COMPretard, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. COMPretard

COMPretard Thread Starter

When on a job search website,I'm trying to click a link to e-mail my resume and it's pulling up my windows messaging.I don't use that and don't know how to.It used to go straight to my outlook, something happened and I don't how to fix it.Please could some one give me some advice?

2. Miz

Miz

First thing to try if you're using Internet Explorer is in Internet Explorer, go to Tools>Internet Options>Programs tab and make sure your email program is showing in the "Email" field. If it's not, use the drop-down list to select the correct program. Click OK.

3. COMPretard

Thank you very much,I'm gonna try that now.

4. COMPretard

Thank you again.That worked,Do you know how that happened?

5. Jack1000

Jack1000

Well, not sure exactly how that happend, but I can tell you that older versions of Outlook 95/97 REQUIRE Windows Messaging in order for Outlook to run. I was forced to uninstall my Windows Messaging because it was interfering with OE 6. (I could send messages but could not receive them.) I had never used Outlook 97, but realized that I could not open Outlook 97 once Windows Messaging (a.k.a Microsoft Exchange was uninstalled.) My OE 6 problem appears to be solved howvever with the removal of Windows Messaging.

Please note also that Windows Messaging, which was primarily used as a FAX utlity was discontinued by Microsoft following the release of Windows 98. In fact, a query that I performed about the software says that no updates were done to it since the early days of Windows 95! What Microsoft doesn't tell you, is that Older versions of Outlook 95/97 require Windows Messaging to run!

If you need Windows Messaging back again, would this be found on the Office 97 CD ROM or on the Windows 98 CDROM? I asked this, because when I reinstalled Office 97 last year, the Office CD asked if I wanted to keep or dump Windows Messaging during the installation. I would assume that if you use a more current version of Outlook (2000 or higher) you don't need Windows Messaging for Outlook. (is this true guys?) Since Windows Messaging is not a part of WIndows 98, 2000, ME, or XP, I would only keep it if you use an older version of Outlook or like the FAX utility on it. However, I am sure that there are better more reilable FAX programs for download than what they give you for Microsoft Exchange.

What version of Office do you have? Do you guys think that uninstalling Windows Messaging will screw up this users Outlook? If not, I would uninstall Windows Messaging. (Especially since you said you don't use it.)

Jack

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice