1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with php-powered project - Could you assist?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by BlackFrancis, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlackFrancis

BlackFrancis Thread Starter

Hi folks, I'm working on a non-profit project for a small handful of people and recently I heard it may be patronized by several 100. I'm not great with server-side code, php and sql (I'm also useless with graphic design, but that's secondary), but I took the initiative to develop this community based on the Wordpress platform simply because I knew enough to get it started and there's no damn point in sitting around waiting for someone else to build something for us. I was responding to my own needs and those of others. Could you help?

To give you a better idea of what we need: We're not making profits here, so pro bono would be nice. Me and my partner will gladly give something of significance to anyone who could help us. You may set and keep your copyrights and be credited on the site for any work you do.
    If you're familiar, the platform is Wordpress with associated plugins, plus Buddypress with associated plugins. I am able to tweak it provisionally and have a working understanding of the software but utterly clueless with anything complex. And dealing with the populace of the Internet these days, whose minds have been melted by Facebook and Twitter, I need to pull rabbits out of my a** on a regular basis.

2. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    What help do you want?

If you spell out what you are having problems with I am sure one or more of us can help but at the moment your request is a bit vague.

3. BlackFrancis

Hello. Sorry to disappear for almost a week, but after 3 days of being distracted I procrastinated getting back to you.

Just let me know if I'm being unreasonable or going against the intention of this community. I don't mean to breach, TSG has helped me a lot over the years.

I was very vague, I recognise that. I don't have a problem, nothing is broken per sé, Wordpress/Buddypress and all appending plugins are made by programmers to be understood and used by other programmers and not lay people. For instance I saw a help thread of someone asking for a fix to make all external links on the Activity Stream open with target _blank - the response was "click with the middle mouse button to open in a new tab" - sorry to say it, but a lot of these people are freakin' idiots. I'm having relative luck optimizing the platform but some things I just can't hack. I thought I'd open these things up to the wider community to play with.

Some things the Buddypress community is simply not in the slightest bit interested in helping with, like my request for a little bit of clarification on the following discussion thread http://buddypress.org/support/topic/how-to-exclude-a-group-from-the-groups-loop/
    It should be very simple, but I am clueless when it comes to PHP talking to databases, and to be honest it kind of frightens me too.

http://egress.ws/
    This is an open canvas. What can and aught be changed for the purpose of giving people a free and secure place to relate fringe subjects while maintaining privacy? There are several plugins available to help maintain privacy and help people publish content but it really leaves a lot to be desired. If I could optimize it all myself, I would.

4. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Hi BlackFrancis (aka Number6 - ??) I've had a look through the discussion referred to and see that it is very specific to BuddyPress and really requires a working knowledge of their plugin system. However all is not lost:) - what is needed is the source code (which is probably massive) in order to trace where this Group-Check takes place, unless you can persuade the moderator Hugo to reply to your post and let you know "where" - but it's an old thread and probably not generating emails anymore:(

This is not a brush-off, but maybe a new thread in the BuddyPress forum, along the same lines may produce some positive response for this specific requirement of yours? Otherwise it means slogging through the plugin source code to determine where the check must take place...

5. BlackFrancis

Acknowledged (y)

6. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    I've just taken a quick tour of the Buddypress website and came across this nugget - I have a feeling this may be of some help with GROUPS etc.,

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice