1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with potential Virtumonde strain removal

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by ninwa, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninwa

ninwa Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have been asked as the resident techy at my company to help remove malware that has found its way onto one of the work laptops. The first thing they noticed was that the screensaver had become a fake BSOD, the background was changed to a fake vista window claiming we had Win32.Virtumonde. Other symptoms include a sound file randomly being played and a DOS against various search engines (including google, yahoo, live, and altavista amongst the ones I've tried). When I click a link it just pops up an ad site.

I ran Virtumonde Fixer and it didn't find anything in it's scan. I ran AdAware and it also didn't have much luck. Here's my HJT log. I am currently running a scan with AVG.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 3:31:57 PM, on 9/20/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\HpqToaster.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntvdm.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Safari\Safari.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\jre-6u7-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsiExec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Update\Base Images\jre1.6.0.b105\patch-jre1.6.0_07.b06\patchjre.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SVCHOST.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\svchost.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Office Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Bonjour - {7F9DB11C-E358-4ca6-A83D-ACC663939424} - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\ExplorerPlugin.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe

--
    End of file - 4300 bytes

Any help or ideas are appreciated as always :)

2. ninwa

ninwa Thread Starter

One thing I noticed that I hadn't noticed before was the placement of "Register Antivirus 2008" in my start menu. I've seen this mentioned a few times before. I never installed or ran that application however, so I'm not 100% sure it's the same problems other have had with that particular malware. Mine is much stealthed. The only thing that seems to be remaining from my infection os the BHO that affects search engines. I'm not sure how to individually get rid of this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice