1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help with processor part

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barrypatch, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. barrypatch

barrypatch Thread Starter

My 16 year old son was bringing his two month old computer downstairs today and dropped it, went down several steps and hit the floor hard. My son is visually impaired due to a connective tissue disease and has no depth perception. My son and Mike have the same condition and that is how I found out about this site. David is okay, but it landed on his leg and he is limping.

I put the things back in place, the processor fan came off and the front cover. Now, I have this little square thing that appears to be the processor because it says Intel Celeron 2.53/256/533 on it. It has a smooth side and a side with some gold things that are raised. A computer tech I am not! I don't know where it goes. It doesn't appear to have been stuck anywhere.

I really need to fix this, because I still have my old computers torn apart trying to find someone to fix them who won't charge me an arm and a leg. He uses his computer a lot.

So, if anyone can help, please respond. I am hoping to find someone locally that will work on these computers and try to get some of them working.

Thanks.

Nancy

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There should be socket on the large circuit board in the computer that matches the processor. The socket is white and has a little lever that must be lifted up to insert to the CPU and then it gets locked down. On top of the processor goes a large heatsink and fan that is required to cool the CPU; do not forget to re-attach that as well once the CPU is in place.

3. barrypatch

I am a little confused. I know where the processor fan is, because it came off and there were two metal brackets that holds it in place. Does the processor go underneath the heatsink and fan? Like I would put it on top of the base part on the board and then fasten the heatsink/fan over the top of it?

I see another place under the heatsink/fan that is silver and is fastened to the board with a clip, but there is no way to fasten the processor to it.

Thanks, I really want to get this fixed for him, he is so upset about it.

Nancy

4. barrypatch

I took the processor fan assembly off and I see the socket now. I don't know which way to put the processor in. There is a smooth side and then a side with gold things raised up. I would assume the gold side goes down toward the board and the smooth side up, then I see the fan assembly sits right on the processor.

Thanks again, I am just praying it will start up okay after all of this.

Nancy

5. SacsTC

SacsTC

Yes, it goes under the processor fan. There is a socket there that it fits into. The socket is white and has a little lever that must be lifted up to insert the CPU and then it gets locked down. It goes only one way so be careful to get it oriented the proper way before you try to lock it down. Also try not to touch the actual processor points. The flat side with the writing on it goes up.

6. SacsTC

SacsTC

There are 2 little notches in the side of the processor that must fit between the bumps that extend into the socket it fits into.

7. barrypatch

I can't find a lever that will hold the proessor in place. There is one on the side of the socket that when released allows the socket to move slightly. It reminds me of the lever on the hood of the car.

I can't find a lever to go across the socket to hold the processor in place. We are looking now for any other loose parts, but no luck so far.

Nancy

8. replay

replay

9. SacsTC

SacsTC

the lever is on the side of the socket. It is an arm that locks under a small projection that sticks uot from the side of the socket. Raise the arm, install the proc. and then push the arm back down and under the little projection.

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

See if this helps explain how the parts go together.

Best Wishes . . wrs

11. SacsTC

SacsTC

here's a picture if it closed without the proc.

Attached Files:

12. barrypatch

I can't thank you all enough for your help.

I put the lever all the way up at 90*, put the processor in place, put the lever back down, but the processor isn't really fastened in. I am confused on the role of the lever, it doesn't appear to hold the processor in place. I know I have the processor in the right way, because the corner with the missing pins is aligned correctly to the socket.

I don't want to start this up until I am sure the processor is okay like it is.

Nancy

13. SacsTC

SacsTC

Did the socket look like the picture? There should be a lid that comes down over the proc. Is there like a bunch of short needles on the gold side of the proc or is it fairly flat?

14. barrypatch

The socket looked the picture, on the processor there is one smooth side that is silver and the other side looks like gold needles. I thought the side with the gold pins/needles would go down on the socket. There is nothing that goes over the top of the processor. I haven't found any other parts, but we are looking again.

I must be missing the lid that covers the processor.

Nancy

15. SacsTC

SacsTC

O.K. if it is gold needles, it will just be a socket with a lot of holes in it. It will not have a cover. The needles fit into the holes in the socket. Like you noticed, there are some missing pins at one corner of both the proc and the socket. Be very careful not to bend the needles on the proc. Raise the arm all the way and sit the proc down into the matching holes. Don't force it. If no pins are bent, it should almost fall into the holes in the socket. When it is down flat, push the arm back into place and lock it under the tab. Then replace the fan and plug the fan into the mobo connector that is labled CPUFAN

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice