1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help with processor part

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barrypatch, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SacsTC

SacsTC

There should be a piece of what appears to be double sided tape on the fan. Is there?

The answer to your question in your post #17 is no, it should not move. you may be able to force it to move, but it should not be moving around.

2. barrypatch

barrypatch Thread Starter

Will the processor still move even after the lever is down? That is where I am confused, because it still moves even after the lever is locked back down.

3. barrypatch

I can tell there was something on the fan that was a rectangle shape, but it isn't there now. I can't see where there was anything on the smooth silver side of the processor.

4. barrypatch

I got the processor into the socket and lowered the lever, it isn't moving now.
    I don't think I had the pins lined up before.

Now, I just need to know if there is supposed to be tape on the fan. I have two hold down brackets that fit over the fan to keep it in place.

Nancy

5. SacsTC

SacsTC

I don't suppose you are anywhere near Sacramento CA. are you?

6. barrypatch

Nope, not near Sacramento, I am in Illinois, west central on the mighty Mississippi.

Nancy

7. SacsTC

SacsTC

You need that piece of gray tape approx 5/8" square or you need to go to radio shack and get some arctic silver. Put the arctic silver on the silver side of the proc before putting the fan back on. Don't try to run the machine without either finding that piece of what looks like gray tape or putting the arctic silver on. It will overheat on you. If you get arctic silver, you only need to put enough so that it looks like a grain of rice on there in the center and then put the fan back on.

8. barrypatch

I will go to Radio Shack tomorrow and get some and put it back together with my fingers crossed and prayers that it will start up.

You have been so helpful.

Nancy

9. SacsTC

SacsTC

K. Good Luck

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    the cpu may have to sides with 6 pins missing. I saw this before on my machine. The cpu can only in one way and it will pretty much drop in without any problems. if it stays up, it's in the wrong posistion :)

11. barrypatch

I went to Radio Shack, they had no idea what I was talking about, but a customer in the store did. I got the compound and put the computer back together tonight.

I tried to start it, the fans run a short time and it shuts down. It won't start at all and I didn't want to keep trying it.

So, any ideas on this dilemma?

Nancy (who is going to have to break down and take it somewhere)

12. norton850

norton850

With what happened other problems are possible in addition to what you've been dealing with, but perhaps you just don't have the heat sink on quite right and things are overheating

13. replay

replay

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice