1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with RAID1 repair

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by erock1975, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erock1975

erock1975 Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on an issue I'm having with my RAID1 server.

I had a drive failure last week. I ordered an identical new drive to replace to failing one (Seagate Barracuda 750GB ST3750528AS). I installed the new drive and booted the computer - as soon as it started the Intel Rapid Storage interface opened right up and it starting rebuilding the new drive.

All was good until about 60% completion, then it failed. I restarted the computer and went into the BIOS to see if the computer recognized both drives - it did. Then went into the RAID configuration utility - it says the new drive is there and is ready to be rebuilt.

Booted the computer - it started rebuilding again. Then it failed a second time. This time when I rebooted the computer (after checking the bios and configuration utility again - all good) right before Windows started I got this error message:
    "AHCI Port 3 device error, hit F2 to resume". Did that and it took me to the BIOS, I checked everything - seems fine - exited from the program and Windows booted.

Each time I get into Windows though and it tries to rebuild the drive it fails.

I'm not quite sure how to proceed. Is it possible that the new drive is faulty as well? Or does this seem like a motherboard or driver issue? I have checked all the drivers and they are up to date.

One other thing I've noticed: the computer is periodically making a loud "clicking" noise. Doesn't seem to coincide with any of the failures, but I've not heard a computer makes this noise before and it seems odd. It's not too frequent, but maybe once every few hours.

I'm not super familiar with RAID1 and am getting frustrated with the process.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated - thanks in advance!!

Best regards,
    Erik

Dell XPS 8100
    Core i7 2.93GHz
    6GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why do you need RAID-1? RAID-1 on a consumer product isn't that great anyway. It's heavily dependent on the firmware(BIOS), the drivers, and the software. And while Intel rapid is the best integrated chipset RAID it still isn't anywhere near perfect.

Is the clicking coming from the hard drive? Hard drives can click, the arm causes it, when the the drive is faulty.

Is the new drive connected to SATA port 3?

3. erock1975

erock1975 Thread Starter

Thank you for the response Triple6, appreciate your time.

Yeah, I agree that a RAID 1 is not great for a consumer product. This machine was set up as a pseudo server for a small company of about 5 people before I started working here.

It does sound like the clicking is coming from the drives, however it seems to have stopped happening after the machine warms up.

The new drive is connected to port 3.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice