1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with Registry

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mercy, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mercy

mercy Thread Starter

Running Win98SE and I cannot import a Registry file. When I try to import I get the following error message: "Cannot import 'file name.reg'. Error writing to the Registry." I have no problem exporting the Registry but I cannot import it. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it? Appreciate your help!

2. jaye944

jaye944

the "BEST" way to do this is to use a program from the win95 disk called ERD (or ERU)
    Emergency Repair DISK / or utility.

Allows you to backup the registry files and restore them,

if you dont have a win95 disk

do a search on the web for ERD or ERU, its a microsoft program utilty

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Is the actual name of the file you are trying to import "file name".reg ??

Does this behavior occur with other .reg files or just this one? The "error writing to the registry" message can occur, according to MS, because "not all registry keys can be imported".

And if you are using the "import" function from within the registry editor, does it make any difference if you double click the file and confirm the merge, or right click and select "merge" from the right click menu?

4. Deke40

Deke40

Did you export this certain file and then try to import it back are did you create the file yourself.

One thing you might do is right click and click "Edit" and see if it has the "REGEDIT4" without the ""s and all caps at the top then a space and the content as below.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\openas\command]
    @="c:\\windows\\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1"

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    It may also help to see the contents of the .reg file, right click on it and select Edit, then copy/paste it's contents to a reply here ...

6. Deke40

Deke40

Knock-Knock Mercy are you still here?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice