1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help with results from house call /viruses

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by col, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. col

col Thread Starter

i hope some one can walk me through what i need to do to correct this problem i have found through getting a online virus
    check i have avg anti virus with the latest update 24/11/01
    house call found four infected files they said unable to clean the filec:\restore\archive\fs150 because it is in use these files are in a jokes folder there are four of them all in the same folder c:restore\archive\fs150 please help why would it say out of the four of them only joke winavoid.a c:restore\archive\fs150 is in use
    thanks in advance.col.

not very computer literate. make it easy as you can.

after posting this request for help i did a avg virus scan of the jokes folder which is 140 mb and it says no viruses detected
    col.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. col

col Thread Starter

rollin. rog.your quick thanks again. i am back again i looked at that link you placed as i said before im not to good with stuff like that
    may i ask you if this is roughly right i go to the system icon in control panel i wait till the box cames up i click the performanc tab
    click file system adjust system disk space slider to lowest level than click apply then restart pc go back and put disk space slider where it was and restart again and all purged files should be gone.hope thats right col.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't have WinME, but I think you almost have it right.

After setting to the lower amount and restarting, do another antivirus scan to see if the infected files have been squeezed out (think of it like a tube of toothpaste). If they have, then you go back and raise the slider to where it was before. If they haven't, then you try again with a lower setting and repeat.

Or you just may want to bite the bullet and do a full manual purge by disabling System Restore and restarting. Of course, if you do this you will have no restore capability until the archive is rebuilt. And you should expect to see an increase in disk activity as it is.

You can even choose to ignore the problem and let the Restore utility gradually squeeze the files out on its own. BUT, you wouldn't want to do a restore until the system scans clean.

5. col

col Thread Starter

thanks again rollin rog may i ask you one more ? the present disk
    space is set on 1488 mb what should i set it at now. as you said i can lower the space and it sqeezes the files out on its own that sounds the easist for someone like me who only knows a little about pcs if i do it the other way (lower disc space) to nil and restart pc ect.ect.
    does it build the archive automatically or do i have to do anything else thanks again.col. and all the best to you and your family for the coming festive season.col.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Col, as I interpret the article the minimum restore size must be at least 200mb. So I would stay above that if you want to preserve the possibility of a restore before the archive is fully rebuilt.

This is not really a critical operaton and evidently your archive size is plenty big (1488 mb) so if you want, just try half that at first. You can go lower, but not below 200mb. Just remember to set it back afterwards.

7. col

col Thread Starter

thanks again,rollin rog here goes .btw can you tell me how those
    files got there in the first place stuff like that just goes over my head.col.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Col, my assumption is that they were in the Windows folder at one time and the restore program archived them like it does everything else there. How you got the virus originally I don't know.

9. col

col Thread Starter

rollin rog thanks for your quick replys for help i done what was suggested at microsoft and went back to house call for another
    virus check and those files in the archive are gone they did not show up but 2 files uncleanable do show up again even after i deleted them at house call virus check i have taken a screen shot of what they said i wiill try and place it as a a/ment perhaps you might be able to tell me where they are and i will delete them off the hard disk.btw how do i tell if my machine is preparing a new
    restore date if and when i might need one.thanks you have been a great help.col. see a/ment

10. col

col Thread Starter

sorry for making this thread so long i tried to edit it because the a/ment never went and theres no place to send a a/ment in edit posts.stil cannot send a\ment keeps on coming up file to big its bmp tried to change to jpeg and send but it wont change?

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's a bit hard for me to give clear, confident answers on the finer points of WinME's system restore, since I don't have it my self. But hopefully, this MS link will help clarify some of your questions:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q267/9/51.asp

And there is a slew of more articles available through this link:

http://members.home.net/winhelp98/restore.htm

It might be easier for you just to copy/paste the file names and the paths (addresses on your drive where they remain).

And what was the exact name of the virus identified?

To change a .bmp to a jpg, by the way, you need a utility like Irfanview. You can simply change the file type to be saved as.

http://www.irfanview.com/english.htm

Also, when you reply, you don't need to use the "reply with quote" option, that just adds unnecessary length.

12. col

col Thread Starter

rollin rog with your help we did it i found the the elusive files that where ucleanable by house call they where in a folder within a folder i sent them to the recycle bin done another house call check
    they found them in the recycle bin i went back to recycle bin deleted them went back to house call and run another scan and when scan finished it said congratulations you have no viruses on you drives we checked.i cannot thank you enough for your time and help.col.downunder.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That's great to hear Col, sometimes solutions are simpler than they seem. You're more than welcome for the assistance. :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice