1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with selecting a router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aimee, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aimee

aimee Thread Starter

Due to the configuration of our home we are unable to have a cable modem installed without a wire running along the outside of the house. An alternative is a router, I don't know what to look for when choosing one and would appreciate any help you can offer, this will only be used for one computer. My concern is that I'll have intermittent problems with the connection since the router will be located in the basement and the computer will be on the 2nd floor of our home. Is this a valid concern or is the technology such that this is a non-issue. ~Thanks, Amy

2. contsi

contsi

Need more info, do you need to go wireless?

3. aimee

aimee Thread Starter

Do I NEED to go wireless? Well, no, I could have the cable guy run the wire up the outside of the house in order to get it into the room where the computer will be located but I'd prefer to not have a wire on the outside of the house so a router was the cable guys suggestion as an alterntaive to that. The router could be placed in the basement, where the cable can connect to from the box outside, then I'd have the benefits of cable modem but without a wire on the outside of the house. Hope I'm explaining this clearly.

4. IMM

IMM

Things like a linksys router (here simply as a gateway) use a java enabled browser to configure. If you need to repower it you will have to go down there tho'. It's actually less likely to need it than the cable modem itself. I miss the activity lights when things are remote like that - but if you're good at networking - you'll get most of what you want using snmp traps. You can even remote the lights ( but we're back to wires again ).

Other wire options include cat5 network cable within the house placing the router near you ( but the modem will still be remote so there isn't much gain)

Have you tried telling the company that the phone people are neater - and you are thinking DSL ? :D

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I'd seriously think about putting the wireless router and cable modem in the basement. Lots of times you'd like to look at the lights to see what's going on, having it in the basement is going to be a PITA! FWIW, you can usually run a cable from the basement into the attic, using heater return ducts. Another good place to consider is alongside the sewer drain from a 2nd floor bathroom. There is almost always a way to run the wire internally, and you'll be MUCH happier with the results. :)

6. Del

Del

If you use a router in the basement, you don't need a cable running up the house, you need a RJ45 from the router to the other computer.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think the wireless router was going in the basement too. :) In any case, I know I would have great difficulty dealing with my cable modem and router being in the basement, even though I could have wireless access that way too. I was fortunate in that my house was already wired for TV everywhere, so I had a wire from the basement to my office. :)

8. contsi

contsi

Cable in the basement connected to the Modem and Modem connected to Router via cat 5 cable. Thanks for the explanation.
    Big difference will on the range of your wireless card, I don't use one on a PC that is far from the router. I have tried different
    wireless cards on my Laptop, and by far the Cisco cards have had better range. I use a D_Link WAP at home and Cisco at work,
    Cisco is better but a lot more expensive. There are also USB port wireless for the PC.
    Hope this helps.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice