1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help With setting up a server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rafbomber, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rafbomber

rafbomber Thread Starter

I am trying to set up an active domain on my home network but i have run into a few problems.

First off the setup of the network is as follows:
    [​IMG]

The first problem i am having is setting up the static ip for the DNS.
    The clients and server auto assign the ips to be:

ip address = ip of router
    subnet = 255.255.255.0
    default gateway = ip of modem

I then change these to:

ip address = ip between 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254
    subnet = 255.255.255.0
    default gateway = ip of modem

the client or the server wont connect to the internet? How do i solve this problem?

The second problem i am having is connecting the clients to the domain. Regardless of the settings I have for the Tp/ICP i always get the same error which is:

[​IMG]

how do i solve this problem?

I am using server 2003 and the clients are running XP Pro

cheers raf.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What is acting as your DHCP server?

Do an ipconfig /all on a client when you have the configuration where you are able to get out to the internet. Then post the output here.

The error you have up there is due to a wrong DNS setting on your client/workstation. You have to point your clients to the IP address of the server running as a DC.

3. rafbomber

rafbomber Thread Starter

i have decided to use amahi home server instead seeming this is only for a small home network.

i am just wondering if i can create specific user profiles which can be logged onto the all the clients?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice