1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with slowness I'm confused.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xTyGeRx, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xTyGeRx

xTyGeRx Thread Starter

I had to buy a new Hard drive and OS (XP Pro) because of some critical windows problems. After it's all installdw, updated, and running, I find that it's running a whole lot slower then it used to with the old HD...I figure if anything else with the Clean HD and new OS it should run faster then the old. Any suggestions on why it has slowed down so much?
    Thanks ahead of time.
    Tyger

2. xTyGeRx

xTyGeRx Thread Starter

I started looking around through my computer and found two folders in my C:/program files that really don't belong...one is "Microsoft Frontpage" I have never owned or installed frontpage on this pc. I open the folder its all blank. I tried to delete it and it says it's being used by another application and to close any application that might be using it before trying to delete it. The other folder is "xerox" and its the same as the MFP folder. It's empty and gives the same error when trying to delete it. Any suggestions?! I can provide screenshots if needed. HELP please!

3. techy689

techy689

well, not necessarly. your new hard drive might have a slower rpm, and it could be a smaller hard drive. Also, a couple software which can help speed up your pc are

1.) crap cleaner - ccleaner.com ( free)
    2.) Uniblue suite - uniblue.com

4. xTyGeRx

xTyGeRx Thread Starter

Thanks. I've tried several different programs (Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, AVG Spyware, RegCleaner) and none have seemed to help. Ill try Crapcleaner. Any other suggestions?

5. 1101doc

1101doc

This is a system folder. No one seems to know why it's there. No one seems to know what it's for. No one can permanently remove it. If you do manage to delete it, Windows will just recreate it. Leave it alone, it's harmless-everybody has one. The same seems to be true of "Front Page."

6. xTyGeRx

xTyGeRx Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. Now I know those aren't the problem, but I still can't figure out why it's running so slow. I've done everything I can think of to speed it back up to par, but nothing is working. I even defragged for 6 hours last night. Nothing. If y'all have any more suggestions please post.
    Thanks again,
    Tyger

7. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Do you mean it is slow to start up or slow when you are working with it ??

8. Bartender

Bartender

Sounds like drivers to me. First thing I'd do is identify each of your parts - motherboard, vid & audio cards (if not part of the board) modem, etc. Use someone else's PC to find the latest drivers for each piece of hardware. Download the packages. Bring them over to your PC on a thumb drive or CD, install motherboard drivers first, vid next, sound, modem, etc.
    Just for the heck of it, reboot after each driver install and move around a bit to see if any of them made a big difference.

9. techy689

techy689

Couple other things to try

1 make sure you accidentally didn't loosen any memory when you installed the new hard drive.

2 go to start > run > type in 'cmd' > a black box will appear and type in "sfc /scannow"

what this does is makes sure nothing is missing on your computer that should be there from Windows.... TRUST ME this can drastically increase your computer speed if files are missing.

3 go to microsoft.com > in the right pane you will see 'security and updates' select this and then select 'microsoft update' accept any warnings and then let it look for updates... once it is done it will ask you how u want the updates to be installed... select 'custom'. then go through and select all the optional and hardware updates and download and install them all.

10. xTyGeRx

xTyGeRx Thread Starter

Ok I'll try all that. ALthough I'm pretty sure I've reinstalled all the correct drivers for my hardware, and done all my windows updates. Can't hurt to try again, thanks all for your help! (y)

11. xTyGeRx

xTyGeRx Thread Starter

Ok, this is getting aggrivating now... I ran the SFC scan and it told me to instert my xp pro SP 2 disc... Doing so I clicked retry, same message re-popped. I loaded the disc manually (to make sure the CD rom was working) and everything worked fine, but it won't read the disc during the SFC scan, any suggestions?!

12. xTyGeRx

xTyGeRx Thread Starter

To answer that question...Both. It takes over 3 minutes to get past the XP loading screen before it logs in. Then while booted up, anything I do is really slow and laggy.

As for the 'sfc /scannow' problem I clicked retry 10-15 times and it decided to read the disk. Every now and then it gives me the insert disk message so i click 'retry' a few more times and it picks it back up. I'll see where that gets me.

I checked for windows updates, and check on every single hardware driver for my pc. They're all the correct drivers.

As soon as the sfc scan gets done I'll post again. Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate it. Oh and if this sfc scan works, I'll personally kiss your feet, I hate slow computers :D

13. xTyGeRx

xTyGeRx Thread Starter

Okay, the sfc scan completed, but didn't say anything. Was there some kind of report that it was supposed to generate?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!