1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with sound plz!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by baby_phat26, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. baby_phat26

baby_phat26 Thread Starter

I have a problem with my sound in my computer. I have a Daytek moniter and a PC Magic modem...I think that is what they are called!!! Well i have 2 speakers that are 180 watts when I plug them in all I get is a fuzzy sound, I tried them in a different computer and they work. I don;t know what to do because there is no problem with the speakers but then where would the problem be and would I be able to fix?? someone please help!!!
    Thank You
    !~*Baby_Phat26*~!:confused:

2. brianF

brianF

Going to need to know what type of sound card you have???

Also go to start/settings/control panel/system/device manager/sound tab, any yellow or red errors being reported. You can also look here for the sound card type.

Also go to start/run/type msinfo32 and press enter, go to the left hand frame, choose hardware environment, choose irq's, once they are displayed in the right hand frame go to the edit menu, choose select all, back to the edit menu, choose copy, then paste the list back into this thread.

The problem could be as simple as reinstalling your sound drivers or it could be more complicated.

3. esdxc37

esdxc37

just a thought you say you have a pc magic modem
    that is not a sound card
    are you trying to plug your speakers into the line in of the sound card
    if so you will never get any sound

4. baby_phat26

Thank you for advice but:
    I get as far as Device Manager but the only thing that has to do with the sound it the sound video and game controllers. When I get in there it says Creative Sound Blaster 16 Plug & Play and Gameport Joystick.

The other thing is when I go to Run and type in "msinfo32". It says "Cannot find the file "msinfo32" (or one of its components). Make sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are available."
    :confused:
    !*~Baby_Phat26~*!

5. baby_phat26

just another thing what is a sound card??!?:confused:
    !*~Bqby_Phat26~*!

6. brianF

brianF

are you running windows 95

7. baby_phat26

Yes I am running with Windows95.
    !*~Baby_Phat~*!

8. brianF

brianF

emmmkay, there are two ways to get sound from a computer,

1. pci addon sound card, fits in a pci slot in the back of the computer, generally has multiple plug ins for speakers, line in, line out, etc

2. Onboard sound chip, will be part of the motherboard with connections for the speakers, etc.

If your connections for your speakers are right next to the printer port connection then it's probably onboard sound.

If the connections for the speakers are in a card inserted in one of the 5 or six expansion slots with the metal covers on the back it is an add in card.

No matter, you still need to find out what make and model it is.

Look through any documentation you got with the computer, or post the make and model number of your computer.

9. baby_phat26

What is a pci slot??:confused: In the back of my computer i have spk line, mic and line in. Right beside that is Joystick and beside that is an midi. Also do you buy a sound card??:confused:
    We have no clue what we are doing as you can tell!!!! lol:p
    Thank You for putting up with us!!!

10. brianF

brianF

You have a sound card from your description. Which is installed into a pci slot in your computer. The sound card fits into the pci slot to interface with the computer.

Your going to need to find the make and model fo it. If you can't find the documentation you will have to open up the machine and physically look at the sound card for make and model.

try this install it and see if it gives you the information you need

http://www.belarc.com/Download.html

11. baby_phat26

If gave me all the info on my computer except for the System Model. Under that it says "no details available"?
    What do I do now???:confused: I can't physically take it apart:(

12. baby_phat26

:confused: Where do I find the model make of my computer???:confused:

13. brianF

brianF

Look on the back of the computer, should be a tag with manufacturer and model

14. baby_phat26

I don't have a tag on the back of my computer but I do have a barcode
    DT-17310
    DV9710J207799
    !*~Baby_Phat26~*!

15. brianF

brianF

Your only option left is to shut down the machine, remove the cover, remove the sound card, write down everything you can that's on it to find the make and model of sound card. Post back the info, someone will help you find the drivers.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice