1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help with starting a new website

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by dakota5369, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dakota5369

dakota5369 Thread Starter

i am probably getting in over my head, but i am starting a new website. i have another that is small and it has a template. i host it on webs.com which i absolutely hate. now i am starting a new one. this one will be a LOT bigger though and i expect around 5ok hits a day, so it needs to be big. my knowledge is pretty basic. i can do the template ok, but it is in no way adequate for what i will be doing. that said, here is what my site will have...

- a HUGE forum. the one on webs is terrible. i need like vbulletin or something

- constantly updated content. there will be thousands of indexed pages

- a large online store

really, i would love to be able to use a template because i dont get all the other stuff. i basically want my site to look almost exactly like sherdog.com, except it is not an mma site. any advice on what hosting service and/or tutorials on how to learn about putting it together would be appreciated. thanks

2. sepala

sepala

Hello dakota,

If your knowledge is basic as you said, you need to learn more before you do a huge project like that. As I see, the minimum requirements of knowledge for your site are these.

HTML
    CSS
    PHP(advanced)
    JAVASCRIPT

You can have some knowledge about these from here.
    www.w3schools.com

If you are looking for a very complex system, you will need these,

JSP and other related programming languages.

Apart from those you can have a look at "Making stuffs easy things", like JOOMLA(I don't like those, so I haven't use them)

3. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

i agree w3schools is a good place to start with this. also for the forum you might like to try phpbb3 (google it) it is a free forum that you can download and install and should be ale to deal with what you have in mind. as for hosting justhost.com have never let me down so far and i have been with them for a few years now

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice