Need help with strange USB Port problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

USB-Problems

Awhile ago something strange happened, from one day to another, my USB Ports stopped working.

I have a total of 14 USB Ports in my PC, 2 of them being USB 3.0

The weird thing is, only the USB 3.0 Ports are working, the rest aren't responding to anything.

This has caused huge trouble for me as I've just bought a USB Headset today, with the intention I was going to fix this problem today, however after countless hours spent, I still cannot find a solution.

So far I've tried uninstalling my drivers, shutting off my pc and letting my pc reinstall them by itself.

I've tried countless softwares that scans for outdated software and updates it (they all updated my USB 3.0 ports)

I believe I'm missing something, since only the USB 3.0 ports work.

I've provided a bunch of pictures which I found relevant

I think the problem has to do with inactivity in some ports, because on the 2 last pictures I've attached, you can see it says :"6 ports, 1 available" and on the other picture: "8 ports, 1 available". And sure enough, I currently have only 2 working ports (the USB 3.0 ones). And I have a total of 14 ports (including USB 3.0).

I would be forever grateful for any feedback.

Attachments

Last edited:
I understand that this is a desktop computer.
Where are the USB ports located?
On the back of the computer? In front of computer? An additional hub powered by a separate power supply or computer?
Attach a handwritten schema.
Maybe the problem is the lack of power in the USB ports (USB3.0 - 900mA, USB2.0 - 500mA)?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Submit images of the front and rear of your PC's case so we can see what the USB ports look like and where they're located.

I'm not aware of any model PC that has a total of 14 USB2 and USB3 ports, so I'm guessing you have one or more USB add-on cards installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

USB-Problems

Submit images of the front and rear of your PC's case so we can see what the USB ports look like and where they're located.

I'm not aware of any model PC that has a total of 14 USB2 and USB3 ports, so I'm guessing you have one or more USB add-on cards installed.

I haven't added anything to the pc myself, It just came with 14 USB ports on it.

Techincally there is 3 USB 3.0 Ports, but it's kind of a weird system, because only 2 can be used at a time, there is a blue chord on the back of the pc (Coming out of the pc itself) that chord can be inserted in one of the back USB 3.0 Ports, when that is done, the USB 3.0 Port on the front of the PC becomes active.

The pc is from Shark Gaming, it's called Shark Silent, this particular model cannot be found on their website anymore though, as it is 8 years old and now only an updated version of it exists online so unfurtunately I'm not able to provide a link to the PC.

Here are the pictures of the PC front and back:

Attachments

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
In your first image, there is 1 USB 3.0 port and 3 USB 2.0 ports.
One of the USB 2.0 ports appears to be broken.

Capture1.JPG

In your second image, there is 2 USB 3.0 ports and 8 USB 2.0 ports.

Capture2.JPG

What Windows version is running in that PC?

What's the brand name and complete model number of its motherboard?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers heading in the Device Manager.
Double-click each entry to open its properties window.
Select the "General" tab, then make it says the device is working properly.
If an entry has a "Power Management" tab, make sure the command to turn it off to save power is not checked.
If it is, uncheck it, then click Apply.

crjdriver

A very simple test. Attempt to boot the system with a bootable usb drive in one of the problem ports ie a windows install usb, linux live usb, etc. If it does boot, then the ports are ok and the problem is windows/drivers, etc. If it does not boot, then you most likely have had a fuse blow on the board.
My guess [and it is only a guess at this time] is that you have had a failure on the board. Some high end motherboards like top of the line asus or gigabyte use multiple fuses for the usb. Lower end stuff uses one fuse per controller [that is most likely why usb3 works and usb2 does not]

USB-Problems

In your first image, there is 1 USB 3.0 port and 3 USB 2.0 ports.
One of the USB 2.0 ports appears to be broken.

View attachment 258437

In your second image, there is 2 USB 3.0 ports and 8 USB 2.0 ports.

View attachment 258438

What Windows version is running in that PC?

What's the brand name and complete model number of its motherboard?

Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers heading in the Device Manager.
Double-click each entry to open its properties window.
Select the "General" tab, then make it says the device is working properly.
If an entry has a "Power Management" tab, make sure the command to turn it off to save power is not checked.
If it is, uncheck it, then click Apply.

I just double clicked all of them and they all say they are working properly, and I'm not sure why I get no Power Management tabs on any of them, I think its cause I'm on Windows 7.

You are right the one of the USB 2.0 ports on the front is broken, however that has been broken for years, and all my USB ports have worked at some point (while that 1 of them was broken still).

I've posted image of my specs:

Attachments

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The Generic USB Hub and USB Root Hub entries should all have a "Power Management" tab, regardless of the Windows version.

crjdriver
is one of the hardware experts here, so I'll leave you in his good hands.

USB-Problems

A very simple test. Attempt to boot the system with a bootable usb drive in one of the problem ports ie a windows install usb, linux live usb, etc. If it does boot, then the ports are ok and the problem is windows/drivers, etc. If it does not boot, then you most likely have had a fuse blow on the board.
My guess [and it is only a guess at this time] is that you have had a failure on the board. Some high end motherboards like top of the line asus or gigabyte use multiple fuses for the usb. Lower end stuff uses one fuse per controller [that is most likely why usb3 works and usb2 does not]
That sounds like a good idea, but for some reason, on this desktop I simply have no idea how to enter BIOS on startup, It's very strange, on any of the loading screens there are no shortcut to BIOS, but I've tried all F buttons and ESC. Any idea how I could enter BIOS?

crjdriver

Yes, read your manual. Next open the case and find out what motherboard is used in this system. The board mfg and model# should be silkscreened on the board itself. I included a pic as an example. The brand and model are circled in yellow.
Well I tried to upload a file however there seems to be some problem. I will try it later.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Did you read post #8?

USB-Problems

Yes, read your manual. Next open the case and find out what motherboard is used in this system. The board mfg and model# should be silkscreened on the board itself. I included a pic as an example. The brand and model are circled in yellow.
Well I tried to upload a file however there seems to be some problem. I will try it later.
I can't get my hands on a manual for this PC, it doesn't exist on the internet anymore and the PC is 8 years old so the manual is far gone I'm afraid.

I'm afraid I'm really not experienced with hardware at all, but is this the picture you are looking for?

Attachments

USB-Problems

Did you read post #8?

Yeah but I'm pretty sure theres no Power Tab, I've followed a bunch of tutorials but I don't seem to have a power tab for my USB hubs for some reason, any other way I could access the power supply tab?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Capture.JPG

According to the top-most set of numbers and letters, that appears to be a sticker that's on a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 graphic card.
Is that correct?

crjdriver needs the description of the motherboard.

USB-Problems

View attachment 258441

According to the top-most set of numbers and letters, that appears to be a sticker that's on a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 graphic card.
Is that correct?

crjdriver needs the description of the motherboard.

That is indeed the graphics card I have yes, sorry I don't have a lot of experience with hardware so I'm not sure where to locate the motherboard then.

Here is a picture of what I see when i remove the case, what do I need to take a closeup picture of?

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts