1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need HELP with T1 connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JamilMES, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamilMES

JamilMES Thread Starter

Is it possible for me to connect an additional router to my original router to allow more computers to access the internet?

If so, would I need a special Router?

Here is what I have so far:

T1 Connection from company ====> connected to ====> a Siemens modem/router (it is both in one hardware) ====> now how do i connect more computers to the internet? Would i require more ip addresses? Or can I simply use a router to provide the IP addresses?

Thanks for any help!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A simple switch should be all that's required, hook it to one of the router ports.

3. JamilMES

JamilMES Thread Starter

do i need to set up any computer with a specific IP address to connect to? or should I let it find one on its own?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As long as the router is using dynamic IP addresses, and you have configured the DHCP pool with enough addresses, it's PnP. Just connect it and start using it. :)

5. JamilMES

JamilMES Thread Starter

if i connect 1 ip address to a switch then i connect another computer to the switch. And the second computer still is unable to connect to the internet, does that mean I have to obtain another ip address for the second computer?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you add a switch to a router it's the same as adding more ports to the router. You still only need one public IP address from your ISP.

If you add a computer to the router (or the switch) and cannot access the internet you have a hardware or configuration problem with the router or switch or the computer.

Are you asking a hypothetical question? If you actually have this problem now post the following for the problem PC and for a working one.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice