1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with terminal server licensing?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by hyeedo, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

I am so lost about the entire topic of terminal server licensing on
    server 2003 r2 sp2 standard.
    So we basically use this to run some billing software, and all we do is remote desktop connection from another computer either in the house or from another computer.
    And its been saying the terminal server will expire in 120, which is now down to 10 days.
    All I purchased was a 5 cal server 2003 with the product key.
    There is basically only one user on at a time from another computer to do billing either from the same network or elsewhere.
    Does anyone know what will happen if i change the server licensing mode to per device/per user from the current "per server" mode. It says that once done I cannot undo it.
    Will I not be able to remote desktop connection onto this server? Or will I be responsible for getting server licensing for each user, or will it check for certain product keys and not allow users to log in?

Any help with be very helpful.
    Thank you

2. Rockn

Rockn

You still need to purchase licenses. Contact Microsoft to see exactly what you will need for your situation.

3. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

What will happen if I change the license to per user

4. Rockn

Rockn

Have you even purchased licenses? It will make no difference if you haven't because your users will not be able to connect.

5. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

The server said it came with 5 cals. Does that mean anything?

6. Rockn

Rockn

TS cals are different than user cals. Not the same thing

7. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

So once the trial expires no user will be able to remote desktop connection onto the server right?

8. Rockn

Rockn

That is correct.

9. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

What about if i change it to per user licensing mode?

10. Rockn

Rockn

I believe I already answered that question. You will still be in the same boat unless you purchase the appropriate licenses.

11. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

I deleted terminal services and it allows me to remote desktop connection without issues. I tried 2 computers together and it also worked.
    No need for any licenses.

12. Rockn

Rockn

It will allow 2 concurrent sessions under an admin account. You will need licensing if you are connecting users from the outside world into your LAN.

13. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

Remote desktop connection allows up to 2 connections + console without any extra licensing. It says it in the help and support place.

14. Rockn

Rockn

I realize this, but it is not terminal services then, just RDP connections. Any more than two concurrent connections and it will not allow any further access.

15. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

Sorry to bother you further but
    How is terminal services different from remote desktop connection as far as using the applications?
    After updating the billing program I get "runtime errors" when I use the program from any user besides administrator whether on the server or on RDC.
    Would this be from having no terminal services or from the application.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice