Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need help with terminal server licensing?

3K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  rojo_72 
#1 ·
I am so lost about the entire topic of terminal server licensing on
server 2003 r2 sp2 standard.
So we basically use this to run some billing software, and all we do is remote desktop connection from another computer either in the house or from another computer.
And its been saying the terminal server will expire in 120, which is now down to 10 days.
All I purchased was a 5 cal server 2003 with the product key.
There is basically only one user on at a time from another computer to do billing either from the same network or elsewhere.
Does anyone know what will happen if i change the server licensing mode to per device/per user from the current "per server" mode. It says that once done I cannot undo it.
Will I not be able to remote desktop connection onto this server? Or will I be responsible for getting server licensing for each user, or will it check for certain product keys and not allow users to log in?

Any help with be very helpful.
Thank you

#15 ·
Sorry to bother you further but
How is terminal services different from remote desktop connection as far as using the applications?
After updating the billing program I get "runtime errors" when I use the program from any user besides administrator whether on the server or on RDC.
Would this be from having no terminal services or from the application.

#16 ·
The issues you are seeing may be due to the fact that some applications require a separate license for use with Terminal Server or Citrix. Check with the software manufacturer. To answer your other question, Remote Desktop is simply the newer name for Terminal Services. They both should operate the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.