1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with underclocking!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chaoscreater, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaoscreater

chaoscreater Thread Starter

Hi all, my problem is that my PC runs at a pretty high temperature, it runs normally between 35.5 degrees to 39.9 degrees and that's a pretty high temperature and i wanna try lower it down. I don't have any VGA coolers or anything else and i don't want to waste money buy coolers etc. My friend told me i could try underclocking it but i'm not sure how. BTW, i know the temperature of my computer because i have a thermometer installed in it and it shows on the display on my PC case. So anyway, i need help with underclocking, i don't wanna waste money buying coolers and i thought the easiest way is to underclock my computer, basically change the settings so that it runs on a lower voltage or power etc, i know the process and i've seen guides and i've been doing research on this but i'm not exactly sure how to do it and i'm not sure if this is safe because i've heard that overclocking ur computer or ur graphics card etc can cause them to break easily or something like that, a lot of people do those sort of things and tweakings etc now days and i've seen tons of people saying that it's too risky on forums and sites etc.....so is it ok if i try to underclock it? If it is can someone provide a program and a guide for me? BTW, i know wat underclocking means but will it have any side-effects or anything bad that might happen? E.G. will my PC run slower or have a lower performance after doing this? Lastly i don't want to underclock it so much so that my graphics card wouldn't work, or something like that.....so plz suggest the best solution to me, thx.

2. pllobell

pllobell

I'm not positive, but I don't think that's running too hot. My average CPU temp is 48C and my HD temp is 40C. Unless your system is crashing from the temperature you should be OK.

I know you said you don't want to spend the money, but you might want to consider it. Underclocking is going to make your computer run slower, so it'll be the same as spending the money and not getting as much.

Open up your case, make sure that it's free of dust. Try organizing your cables so they don't block the airflow. Where is your computer? Try to move it more out in the open or away from sources of heat. Is (are) the exhaust fan(s) being blocked? Do you have air blowing in or out?

It might actually be a fun project to rework the inside of your computer to make it run cooler. Round cables and better fans are pretty cheep nowadays.

Give that stuff a shot, let me know how it works out for you.

-PJ

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!