1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help with User Accounts/Software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by AnonMom, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnonMom

AnonMom Thread Starter

Hi .. I just bought an ipod for my daughter, but my son already has an older mp3 player (a Dell DJ). I have my computer set up for each person to have their own user account, but whenever I download software - it's available on everyone's desktop. Is there a way to download the itunes software only to my daughter's user account so that it doesn't corrupt my son's stuff? I just returned another brand mp3 player because it seemed that once I downloaded the software - it messed everything up for my son's player. I do not want to make the same mistake twice, so I thought somebody here might be able to help me or point me in the right direction. I've already looked through the help topics on my dell computer and microsoft xp - but nothing explained how to keep software separate from other users. Each person on my computer has an "administator account." My main goal is to have only "used" software available to each specific user (for example - I don't need access to itunes from my user account because I don't have an ipod, or my daughter doesn't need access to games my son has downloaded.) Am I making sense or is this just not able to be done on a shared computer?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2. pip22

pip22

I think I know where you're coming from, AnonMom, but it's impossible to keep any application absolutely separate from other users. Whatever you install, and whichever user is logged on when it's being installed, the fact remains there is only one folder named "Program Files", one folder named "Windows", and only one Windows Registry. These three elements between them hold the details of all the applications on the PC, regardless of which account was used to install them.

The best you can hope for, even with XP, is that some application shortcuts will not be visible to other users, and then only if the application is 100% XP compliant (in which case it will ask you if you want to install it just for yourself).
    With non-compliant applications you can, of course, delete the shortcut yourself for users who you don't want to have access to it.

But as for keeping device drivers and software completely isolated from each other, that would be a marvellous way to prevent many problems, but, alas, it's still just a pipe dream.

3. AnonMom

AnonMom Thread Starter

Thank you so much, Pip ... looks like lots of people viewed my post but no one seemed to know. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Since I couldn't find any information on any help topics in my computer .. I figured it couldn't be done. Drats! I guess I'll just download the itunes software and keep my fingers crossed. ;) There's always system restore if things don't work out. :D Thanks again and take care!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice