Need Help with win 98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ally_is_back

i have recently put microsoft office (97) and publisher (2003) on an old windows 98 computer, after restarting the computer the second windows had fully loaded up a blue screen came up warning me that there wasnt enough memory then restarted. this is working like a loop every time i restart it, the same thing happens. if any one else can help me i would be gratefull, the only way i think its possable to fix is by starting up and going into DOS then deleting publisher there. if any one knows how to do that please can you contact me on this thread

If you can start the system in Safe Mode, you might be able to uninstall one of those programs. Hold down the CTRL key as soon as the system starts to boot; that should take you to the Startup Menu, where you can boot into Safe Mode.

If that doesn't work, reboot the computer, but hold down the SHIFT key the entire time while Windows is loading. Holding the SHIFT key down prevents any programs from loading at startup, but you MUST hold the SHIFT key down until the Desktop has fully loaded, and wait until the hourglass disappears for more than five seconds before you release the SHIFT key.

One of those methods should allow you to run Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel, and then you'll be able to unburden that poor Win98 system. Either one of those apps is bloated enough to make Win98 stagger under the load, so I hope you'll avoid the temptation to add anything else to the pile.

Merry Christmas to you and yours; keep us posted.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you're going to install Microsoft Office 97, don't install the entire suite. Just install the parts that you really need, such as WORD and EXCEL, which are still useful at their age. Most of the other parts are too old and outdated to be of any good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the processor speed and amount of RAM?

How large is the hard drive and how much free space is left?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online