1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help with Windows 10 Update Settings

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by SimonYahn, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SimonYahn

SimonYahn Thread Starter

When I hit the windows button, go into settings, then into update and security, then to windows update, there are five dots that endlessly scroll across the window. If I click to a different tab, like backup, then back to windows update, the settings window crashes. What is the cause? How can I fix this?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

When Windows crashed, did it show a Blue Screen of Death with an error code?

3. SimonYahn

SimonYahn Thread Starter

No error code or blue screen. The settings window, not all of windows, crashes. There is no pop up or anything.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

So the sliding dots just freeze?

5. SimonYahn

SimonYahn Thread Starter

No, the sliding dots just keep repeating the animation endlessly. If I click on another tab in the Update and Security Settings window, like Activation for instance, then go back to Windows Update, the program crashes with no error message or popup of any kind.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

So it is repeatedly sliding forward. So how do you know it crashed ?

7. SimonYahn

SimonYahn Thread Starter

after i click on a different tab and then back to the Windows Update tab, the window disappears for no apparent reason, leading me to believe it is crashing. Its not on the toolbar at the bottom of my screen, either.

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Ok. Understand now.

Try a System Restore to an earlier date.

9. SimonYahn

SimonYahn Thread Starter

Before I go through with this, I need some clarification. When I do a system restore, will I lose any of my current files by restoring to an earlier date? Also, is a restore the same as a reset? Nowhere in my settings is there an option to specifically restore.

Just please give me information on how to restore and if there are any risks involved.

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

System Restore does not modify your data files. It only roll back program files, Windowws system files, and the Registry.

It can be found at Right click Start button > Control Panel > System > System Protection > System Restore button.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1161429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice