1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with XP uninstall/hard drive format

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by leemichau, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leemichau

leemichau Thread Starter

Please help ! …….. I’m trying to remove Windows XP from a hard drive in order to reformat it. I’d then like to reinstall XP. I have the XP CD which came with the Dell and the uninstall process seemed pretty straightforward until I got a message I don’t know how to deal with. I’m trying to help my younger brother with his computer which is about 6 years old with a Pentium 4 processor. He uses it only for e-mails, chats, and storing/printing pictures. For some reason, it has gotten VERY S..L..O..W. I’m wondering if it may have picked up a virus from somewhere. The 80GB drive is only about 25% full. I tried to find a freeware disk defragmenter to try, but couldn’t. He hasn’t been running any anti-virus software. He’ also unable to download Internet Explorer 7.0 as it causes the computer to lock-up.

I’ve tried booting from the CD and when I get to the blue screen titled “Windows XP Professional Setup“, I get a message which says “ Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation”. The following appears inside a box on the screen:

76294 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    --: Partition 1 [FAT] 39 MB < 32 MB FREE >
    C: Partition 2 [NTFS] 76246 MB <64143 MB FREE >
    Unpartitioned space 8 MB

On a tech forum, I read to remove the following files from the C drive root folder as part of the uninstall process: boot.ini Ntbootdd.sys Ntdetect.com NTLDR, and the Windows, Program Files, and Documentation Folders if they exist. Also, the Hiberfil.sys and Pagefile.sys files if they exist. I was only able to find the Ntdetect.com and NTLDR files so I didn't risk deleting just those two.

Based on what I&#8217;ve told you, please provide me any info you feel may help with the uninstall,formatting, and partitioning process. Also, your thoughts about why his computer has slowed down to the point he can barely use it. Will formatting the drive and reinstalling XP return his computer to the state it was in when he bought it? If he had a virus, will formatting the drive erase it? One thing I forgot to mention is that he has 512K of RAM. Will installing more have a significant effect? I realize that his computer is outdated and slow by today&#8217;s standards, but that slowness is not what I&#8217;m trying to correct. It is running very slow compared to the way it has always performed for him.

Thanks very much for your kind assistance.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

First thing is for you to remove the email address in the first post here, the forum rules do not allow personal email addresses basically because of the little things called spambots that grab them and then set you up for tons of spam being sent to you.

Try this site it may halp:

Dell - Procedures for Reinstalling or Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://www.djdenham.com/Install Procedures.htm

3. leemichau

leemichau Thread Starter

Thanks for your response and for informing me to not put my e-mail address in future posts. I've edited it out now. Hopefully I'll find an answer at the site you referred me to.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice