1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help with XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cricket258, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cricket258

cricket258 Thread Starter

Please Help! I purchased this computer new and it had Windows XP Home installed. I only recieved a rescue disc and not the full version disc.I have requested this disc several times and have contacted Microsoft as I am legally entitled to this disc. I cannot play back the mp3's. They sound very jumpy and scratchy, no matter what player I use or where they were downloaded from. I purchased another 256mgs ram and had it installed today , but the result are the same. I still cannot play back the mp3's unless they sound very scratchy and jumpy. ANy suggestions?? PLease email me at :
    [email protected]
    Thank You!

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

You are not legally entitled to a full version of the operating system, and Microsoft will not help you in any way, shape, or form with an OEM version of the OS which is what you have. You must work directly with the computer manufacturer or whomever you purchased it from if you want support.

3. Dan O

Dan O

Have you tried Media Player, it normally works very well with MP3s. If so I suspect other tasks are eating up resources. Select Start, Run, and type: MSCONFIG

Select the Startup tab and uncheck all non Microsoft tasks. You must experiment to find what you really don't need.

Good luck.

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Have you tried winamp I usually prefer it for listening to mp3s.

5. Guy

Guy

Dont forget to visit http://windowsupdate.com
    Even though WinXP is new there are already a lot of updates / bug fixes

6. cricket258

cricket258 Thread Starter

Well, I've tried every update and download for the Xp and nothing has helped. I was told by the place where I bought it from that I needed to add Ram...so I traipsed off to the store in the cold and rain and purchased another 256 megs of ram. .which they installed for another 50.00 ...HA! All I got was a lousy cold.. same thing..music plays scratchy and jumpy.....sigh... cough cough . I also purchased the windows XP Plus ...and guess what? It says that the video and sound card cant support it! Why would anyone sell a system that doesn't work and then tell you that they don't know why is beyond me! Boggles the imagination!...Sure did wonders for the checkbook too....=/ I might as well throw this one out and start all over if I am going to have to piece it together! Thanks for the input..Im sure I will be back for more as I piece a new one together.
    Have a Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year!
    Paula

7. Brooks

Brooks Guest

I would avoid the place that sold you that computer. It sounds like they used very cheap components that were not really for XP.

8. Dan O

Dan O

What causes it is stiff competition with very little margins. What happens companies sometimes try too hard to keep the price down and as a result deliver a poor product. Also they cannot affort hiring the smartest employees. I suspect your PC has on-board sound and video. If you got a real good deal on the PC and like it otherwises you maybe able to upgrade the sound and Video for less than $100 using add-on cards. The store should install them free if you push a little, but be easy on them it Christmas, I don't think they were trying to cheat you, and they are not making a bundle off you.

9. BML

BML

cricket258, was your computer "custom built" or was it like one of the off-the-shelf complete systems like they sell in Best Buy? If its custom then I'd side with Brooks & Dan-O. If you bought a complete system, I'd return it! Those kind of superstore chains usually have good support when you first get it.

You say your MP3s play scratchy. What happens when you play a standard audio CD in your CD player? Still scratchy? Maybe you have a problem with your speakers or the wire - maybe the cable going to the speaker isn't plugged in all the way? Another possibility, maybe the audio card or something inside the case isn't seated fully - but I wouldn't take it apart. Let the store do that!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice