need help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kamakazze15

Ok well i have an old compaq presario from i believe 1995(very old). Im also starting to build my own computer. The compaq is very slow but works. I cleaned out the whole thing and i need to install the 95 0S which was its original OS. But i was wondering what can i use from teh compaq to build my computer that wont conflict with its performance? Like that case, power supply, ect.

The old compaq computers were somewhat propritory in what they used. It is possible that most of what is in there would be of no use to you building a new system. Even the power supply is more than likely an AT rather than ATX and would not work on the new boards. IMHO you would be better off starting from scratch to build one. Use the link below to compare prices.

http://www.pricewatch.com/

Hmm..from 95 eh?

Well, things that come to mind..If you have these parts in there.
Harddrive (set as secondary slave)
CDROM
3.5" floppy
Sound card
Modem
Network adaptor
Maybe the monitor..
Case.. this is possible but cases are fairly cheap and do you really want to look at the same one for another 5 years? :)
Power supply.. it's probably a 200 or 250w. Not very good for modern equipment. You want a certified and reliable power supply for today's CPUs and Graphics cards.

The floppy drive is really the only definite thing. The HD would depend on it's current capacity. If it's only 1 or 2 Gb or less, it's not worth it.

You'll basically need everything new though, especially if you're thinking about using Windows XP or 2000.

The basic question is: Intel or AMD cpu? From there you can build your system around it.

Good luck.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online