1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kamakazze15, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kamakazze15

kamakazze15 Thread Starter

Ok well i have an old compaq presario from i believe 1995(very old). Im also starting to build my own computer. The compaq is very slow but works. I cleaned out the whole thing and i need to install the 95 0S which was its original OS. But i was wondering what can i use from teh compaq to build my computer that wont conflict with its performance? Like that case, power supply, ect.

2. n2gun

n2gun

The old compaq computers were somewhat propritory in what they used. It is possible that most of what is in there would be of no use to you building a new system. Even the power supply is more than likely an AT rather than ATX and would not work on the new boards. IMHO you would be better off starting from scratch to build one. Use the link below to compare prices.

http://www.pricewatch.com/

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hmm..from 95 eh?

Well, things that come to mind..If you have these parts in there.
    Harddrive (set as secondary slave)
    CDROM
    3.5" floppy
    Sound card
    Modem
    Network adaptor
    Maybe the monitor..
    Case.. this is possible but cases are fairly cheap and do you really want to look at the same one for another 5 years? :)
    Power supply.. it's probably a 200 or 250w. Not very good for modern equipment. You want a certified and reliable power supply for today's CPUs and Graphics cards.

The floppy drive is really the only definite thing. The HD would depend on it's current capacity. If it's only 1 or 2 Gb or less, it's not worth it.

You'll basically need everything new though, especially if you're thinking about using Windows XP or 2000.

The basic question is: Intel or AMD cpu? From there you can build your system around it.

Good luck.

4. kamakazze15

5. kamakazze15

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

yep, definitely start with new parts.

7. kamakazze15

lol i took out the power supply and its only 75 watts!!

8. weeniebeenie

weeniebeenie

You could probably just keep the floppy drive but why bother they're about €/$10

9. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

It's basically a big Doorstop at this point. :D

10. kamakazze15

lol exactly.... what should i do with it? basically nuttn rite?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice