Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BitterSweetSugar

I need help with this issue. For the past 24 hrs my pc has been stuck with the "infinite boot loop". I recently downloaded Samsung sync which is what started this all. I downloaded it on Saturday night and it worked well but when I tried to shutdown my pc it was taking extremely long. After waiting for about 15 minutes I did a force shutdown--powered down using my power button.

Yesterday, I turned my pc on and it was taking forever to start. After about 10 minutes I powered it down and restarted it. Once it restarted it to me to the login screen which was bigger than usual. I logged in but everything was huge. I tried to restart it and it was doing that same eat thing; huge login screen, huge icons etc. So after fiddling with thr resolution seetings and thst not wotking. I tried to do a system restore but there was not system restore points to do this. At the time I didn't think that just uninstall the Samsung sync program. It however informed me to check the disk.

I looked this issue up and came cross some threads about checking the disk and proceeded to do that. Once that was done everything seemed to be back to normal despite the extra 2 minutes or so to reboot.

During this time while my pc was running smoothly I was trying reset my hostednetwork so that I can delete and create a new WiFi hotspot through my pc. It didn't work and I had to restart my pc. Then I had to use the chkdsk method of getting my screen back to size. That is when I got the boot screen with the option of repairing or running my pc as normal. I chose to repair and it just brought me back to the boot screen. This has happened 7 out 10 times of my doing this throughout the day.

I've tried booting from the installation disc and it brought me to the prompt box but never fixed the issue. Instead it would take me back to the boot menu. Couldn't do system restore from there.

• Windows 7 64-bit
  • Do remember something about bad sectors which is fixable based on a video I watched but would need to access my pc first.
  • I've removed and tested each memory card to see which was faulty.
  • It is to the point where the login display screen comes up after a few times of it booting but the only problem is there is no login prompt. Just the mouse cursor (oversized) and the light blue windows background.
  • I'm currently running diagnostics...been running for almost 1-1/2 hrs and so far everything has been passing all the tests.
  • I have the original windows 7 64-bit installation cd.
Should I get a Sata adapter kick in order to retrieve my files if I have to do a system dump? I have lots of important digital only programs that I downloaded over the years and I won't be able to get again. Are those transferable? I also have lots of important notes on sticky note. Would those also be transferable?

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I would suggest that the computer started in safe mode due to errors
This added to the
Do remember something about bad sectors which is fixable based on a video I watched but would need to access my pc first.
apparent report of bad sectors indicates a failing hard drive
If the chkdsk did report bad sectors they are NOT fixable.
What chkdsk does when run with the /r indicator is to check for bad sectors and if they are found the data on the bad sector is copied to a good sector and then the original sector is marked bad so that future data cannot be written to it.
However it remains bad and there is NO way of repairing it

It appears that you have an increasing number of bad sectors, so that chkdsk then solves the problem as described above, until the next bad sector occurs.

What you need to do is to take out the drive as you have mentioned access it on another computer retrieve what data you can, that will NOT include he ability to save programs for which you do not have the means to reinstall

Having done that you then need to run a chkdsk /r on the drive to confirm its state of damage.
IT MAYBE, although extremely unlikely from the description of what has occurred, that you just might manage to get a clone of the drive to a new hard drive, and then you can place the new hard drive in the computer and run a chkdsk with a special command to clear the record of bad sectors.
Please note that the chance of a clone succeeding is unlikely on the evidence available at this time.

BitterSweetSugar

I cannot boot in safe mode and there was only 4 bad sectors on my pc.

I have all of my files and notes using the sticky note program saved. Classes have already started and I can't even do my work. I don't know how to recover my files. I do have a recovery drive on pc but I have never used it and I dont know if they are automatically backed up.

I going to run a diagnostics again to get all of the sector numbers.

Do you know how to get to command prompt under these conditions?

*Again I cannot boot in safe mode, safe mode networking"

BitterSweetSugar

Let me add that when I did run chkdsk it was just 4 bad sectors. So they have not increased. If I run "launch startup repair" it takes me to the login screen but there is no login--screen name box just the login screen background.

If I can recall the recovery backup drive had just as much data saved as on the main hard drive. I just remember the blue bar showing the amount of data.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
4 bad sectors is a failing hard drive
The only way forward is as you suggested
Should I get a Sata adapter kick in order to retrieve my files
although I am unsure what you mean by "kick" and as I confirmed
Connect it in an enclosure to another computer

If you can get a boot from the windows 7 installation disc
I have the original windows 7 64-bit installation cd
DVD not a repair CD
then you may be able, and it is a MAY - to obtain data using that

It is pointless even trying to invoke recovery to a DAMAGED hard drive

BitterSweetSugar

I meant adapter kit. I only have access to the net through my phone right now so that was autocorrect. Can you please list what equipment/ devices I would need to do this? Can I use a netbook/notebook to do this? I would have to purchase one and the ones that I've seen with Windows 7 are refurbished ones. I don't know a trusted place to get one and as I've stated I'm a student and classes have already started plus all of my files (doc, passwords on sticky notes, software programs) are on this hard drive. Can I use a windows 8 netbook/notebook?

This came from downloading Samsung's SideSync.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If the chkdsk revealed bad sectors that was not caused by downloading Samsung SideSync
It is a coincidence, although any use of the disc for write purposes will cause problems on a failing hard drive
You can connect it to any computer with a usb port although it is obviously not worth buying a computer to complete the task
All you need is a SATA hard drive enclosure

Have you tried booting this computer from the installation DVD, put the dvd in and on first post press the indicated F key for boot options

What is the make and full model of the computer please

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online