1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sirajA, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sirajA

sirajA Thread Starter

Hi, I need to buy a new laptop for university but I am confused between 2 options. The first is an HP Envy 7th generation, i5 with 1 TB of storage and a 12GB ram. The second is also an HP Envy but it is the 8th generation i5 with 8GB of ram and 256GB of storage. The 7th generation is 225$ cheaper than the 8th generation model but is there a huge difference between the 7th and 8th generation CPU?

Appreciate all the help.
    Thanks.

2. sirajA

sirajA Thread Starter

Hi, I need to buy a new laptop for university but I am confused between 2 options. The first is an HP Envy 7th generation, i5 with 1 TB of storage and a 12GB ram. The second is also an HP Envy but it is the 8th generation i5 with 8GB of ram and 256GB of storage. The 7th generation is 225$ cheaper than the 8th generation model but is there a huge difference between the 7th and 8th generation CPU?

Appreciate all the help.
    Thanks.

3. Lanctus

Lanctus

4. RandomNinja42

RandomNinja42

As a recent graduated Student majored game design. At first I had to do the regular/common classes. These classes will fill up your ssd and hdd (hard drive) very quickly. Add all the software then all the assignment including any power points documents with images. Yeah, 256gb is be gone before you know it. Take the HP Envy 7th generation, i5 with 1 TB of storage and a 12GB ram. That's the better choice. I have the DELL Inspiron 15 5000 7th generation i5-7200U processor, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics, 1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive, 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED display, Windows 10 Home. I wish I had more ram like minimal of 12 ram would've been better and laptop would have not struggle so much.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What are the exact model numbers of those 7th and 8th generation HP ENVY laptops?

Which 7th and 8th generation Intel Core i5 processor does each one of them have?

Is the 256 GB storage drive a mechanical one or a solid state one?

What will be the primary uses for that laptop?

The more information that you provide, the easier the members here can help you.

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    There are many different versions of 7 and 8 generation i5 processors, so to help you better please post links to the specifications of the 2 HP Envy laptops you're considering.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I merged your threads here. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

8. AmateurJohn

AmateurJohn

First Name:
    AmateurJohn
    What you will be using the laptop for?

Out of curiousity, what gpu does each one have?

The 2nd HP is more expensive because it has a ssd and it has an intel(8th gen)coffelake processor, so this computer can boot and process faster. The 1st HP is $225 less because it has a hdd and it has an intel(7th gen)kabylake processor, but it has 4gb of more RAM. I would say save $225 and get the HP with the 7th gen, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, and like RandomNinja42 said youll need the storage since youre going to college.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice