1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help :(

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by popcornplya, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. popcornplya

popcornplya Thread Starter

I bought a PC a while back, my computer would shutdown sometimes and when I turn it back on it would give me an error saying something about the graphics card. Now all the sudden I got a blue screen of death and my computer turned off. Now when I try to turn it back on it turns on but nothing shows on the screen.

2. Orumph

Orumph

Try going into safe mode (hit F8 repeatedly at startup)
    Change you resolution to 1024 x 768

If you get nothing at all on monitor, then either the monitor is dead, the cable is bad, or the card is bad.

3. popcornplya

Monitor isnt dead, the light is on. (got 2 monitors). Safe mode didnt work. IDK what to do :(

4. Orumph

Orumph

When you say the light is on.
    Do you mean the power light?
    Back light?
    Are you getting text and things on monitor when you boot?

5. popcornplya

the power light is on, my computer fans are on and everything but it dosent show anything on the screen

6. Orumph

Orumph

The monitor can still be dead, check that the cable is plugged in properly.
    Could still be a bad card. No picture at all even during boot means bad monitor, bad cable or bad card.

7. popcornplya

I just tried my other monitor, it didnt work. Should I buy a new graphics card?

8. Orumph

Orumph

If you tried a different monitor, and nothing at all comes up on screen at any time, from the point you turn the system on, and the cable is different (Some CRT monitors and all LCD monitors, the cable is removable from the monitor and can be independent of it). So if you have used a different cable also.
    Also, most high end cards have 2 video out ports, either 2 vga, or one vga and one dvi or 2 dvi. If yours has 2, try the other port if possible.

Otherwise yes, the card is probably bad.

9. popcornplya

I have nvidea gt 8800, I tried 2 monitors and they did not work. I'm gonna go buy a new graphics card today but what if that wasent the problem and it didnt work?

10. rajesh723

rajesh723

you first go to the BIOS options and check whether first boot option was to Hard Disk or not

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!